Chapter 12

Before long, the group gathered back in the lobby to discuss their findings.

Nalalie set down a photocopied page of the book she got.

"According to this, the construction of Bluebells Orphanage began almost twenty years ago." She said.

The picture she had was of an unfinished building with an address in the caption.

"We finally have an address." Ray said. "Good job."

"Oh, that's just right outside the city." Thoma said.

"So now we know the orphanage didn't really last long. Seven years, give or take." Subaru said.

"I think I know why." Thoma said and he gestured for the others to lean closer.

He looked over his shoulder to see if anyone was nearby.

"Okay, listen." He began. "I got this detail from Geddit. It's one of the websites blocked by the city, but I managed to dig into it somehow."

"What did you find?" Mina asked.

"There's a whole thread of conspiracy theories about Bluebells." Thoma said. "The user who started it claims that the orphanage was actually a front for conducting human experiments."

This shocked everyone to hear and Leila held her breath.

"That's sick, right?" Thoma's whisper squeaked at a higher tone, as if he couldn't believe it either. "And this is creepy, but some people claimed that they can hear eerie moaning within the grounds."

Thoma sat back and exhaled.

"Human experiments?" Leila repeated as they all shared a glance.

"It sounds like something out of a movie." Subaru said.

'First games, now movies... I've started to notice that he really doesn't take this life or death stuff too seriously.' Leila thought.

"It sounds unrealistic, but it could be possible if you assume we all lost our memories around the same time." Subaru said.

"You actually think that?" Thoma asked.

Subaru folded his arms.

"At this point, anything's possible." Subaru replied.

"If it's true, then..." Mina trailed off in thought, before continuing. "We might've been part of those experiments."

"That's..." Leila trailed off as Nalalie crossed her arms, hugging herself.

"In our case, I think our minds have been manipulated." Mina said.

"There are a lot of studies about transferring, deleting, or creating fake memories." Ray said. "The safest method is theoretically hypnosis, but there are also cases with rather gruesome techniques, and most of those were unsuccessful. Some people ended up dying."

'That's terrible!'

Leila and Nalalie gasped, Nalalie covering her mouth with both hands in shock.

"That's inhumane." Thoma said. "Who would even think of doing that?"

"We'll have to investigate on site to get further into this." Ray said.

He suggested they go visit the orphanage, and they all nodded in agreement.

****

They took Thoma's car for a drive to the neighboring town.

"The sun's already setting. We should stay somewhere safe for the night." Thoma suggested.