Chapter 30

Leila found herself staring at the moon, hoping their salvation had come.

'This is the last time I'll have to look at that ghastly moon.' She thought.

Clouds floated across it, casting clouds on them.

Out of nowhere, there was an eerie groaning sound.

"What's that?" Licht wondered out loud.

The groaning got louder and louder the group suddenly found themselves huddled together keeping an alert eye on their surroundings.

'What's happening? I thought the monster was gone for good!' Leila thought as the ground began to rumble. 'Why is this happening?'

A lump of gooey liquid appeared, steadily growing as they watched it form in front of them. Just when they thought they would never have to set eyes on that disgusting monster ever again, it once again appeared right before their eyes.

"The monster's still alive?!" Licht spoke in worry.

The blob spiked itself in all directions as it grew, reaching heights taller than the monster that attacked Subaru. 

'Even Licht is freaking out! This can't be good.' 

"There's no way around it! Run!" Ray said and they all made a run for it to try and get as much distance between them and the monster as possible.

'Why?'

Leila forced herself to run even faster.

'Why?!'

Blood rushed to her head, her ears burning.

'Why did it come back?!'

No matter how much she pondered it, Leila couldn't think of a reason.

'Has my understanding of the Nightmare World been entirely wrong?'

The road ahead darkened with despair.

'Then, how do we get rid of this monster? I can't think of any other ideas.'

Just when she had given up...

"H-Help!" A muffled cry came from the monster. "Please..."

At the sound of the familiar voice, they all suddenly stopped running and turned around.

"Did you guys hear that?" Leila asked the others.

"It's Thoma!" Ray spoke in recognition.

The monster then screamed in a much higher tone of voice.

"Th- that's Monica!" Nalalie said as she recognised the second voice.

'Thoma and Monica died rejecting their memories, and it made the monster even stronger.'

"Are these their lost memories...?!" Leila said.

"Dammit, our memories alone weren't enough!" Ray said as he realised what was going on. "We'll have to figure out a way to accept Thoma and Monica's memories!"

"But how do we do that?!" Mina asked.

Ray didn't answer.

"I can buy you guys some time!" Licht told them.

"You mean you're going to sacrifice yourself?! Don't you dare!" Leila said. "How many times do you need to sacrifice yourself for us? I won't let you do this!"

"Leila, please. Let me protect you."

The monster was getting closer and closer and it glared at Leila with its disgusting eyes like it wanted her next. Leila resisted the fear with all her might while desperately trying to come up with a plan.