Chapter 31

(A/N: FINAL CHAPTER PT.1 OF 2. Multiple POV changes on this chapter. There's also a bit of repetition, but I think you'll understand why)

(Licht and Leila)

It was cold and dark.

"Leila..."

Leila heard a familiar voice call out her name. A ray of light shone in and she could feel someone's warmth.

"Leila..."

She slowly opened her eyes.

'Where am I?' Leila thought.

"Leila..." The familiar voice, that Leila now recognised as Licht, called out to her again as he gently squeezed her hand.

"Licht...?" She finally replied.

Licht smiled in relief once he saw her open her eyes.

Leila blinked a few times and her vision cleared up.

"Licht?!" She repeated in surprise as she saw him awake and talking to her. "You're back! You're really back!"

She immediately wrapped her arms around him, pulling close for an embrace.

"Yeah, I'm back." Licht replied.

Having Licht in her arms seemed to open the flood gates for Leila as she gripped Licht's clothing and cried onto his shoulder.

(Subaru and Nalalie)

It was cold and dark.

"Nala..."

Nalalie heard a familiar voice call out her name. A ray of light shone in and she could feel someone's warmth.

"Nala..."

She slowly opened her eyes.

'Where am I?' Nalalie thought.

"Nalalie?"

She turned to her side to see Subaru beside her. She could also see Ray and Mina a bit away from them. They were also awake and seemed to be quietly talking to each other, but something else caught Nalalie's attention as she glanced down at her and Subaru's interlocked hands.

'He's been holding my hand the whole time. We made it back. It's over. It's finally over!'

The corners of her eyes began to sting, but she tried her best to hold back her tears.

Subaru's eyes were so close and clear that she could see her reflection in them.

"Subaru..." Nalalie finally spoke as she slowly sat up before wrapping him in a warm hug. "We won. We're back in the real world."

"Yeah." Subaru replied as he hugged her back, wrapping his arms tightly around her.

'He's so warm. I'm so happy.'

The two of them gently pulled back and gazed at each other.

Subaru began to get flustered, and the blush started to show on his face.

"What are you staring at?" He asked.

Nalalie felt her cheeks warm.

"I-I was just thinking that I'm really happy to have met you." She said. "I've been through so much, but my life changed forever the day I met you. Thank you for being a part of my life."

It was a little embarrassing, but Nalalie decided to tell him exactly how she felt.

'He's never really known love, so I think it's best for me to be blunt about my feelings.'