Chapter 16

Thoma passed with a peaceful expression. His eyes were closed as if he was trying to let them know he was saved in the end.

Thoma lay lifeless on the floor.

Being an older sibling herself, Mina understood just how important Ray was to Thoma as a brother.

They heard faint footsteps and Leila saw Licht approaching the corpse.

"I'm sorry, Ray." Licht spoke gently as he reached out to try and comfort him.

"You!" Ray growled as he grabbed Licht by the front of his shirt.

"Ray!" Mina called out as she stood up.

"What do you know?!" Ray demanded.

"I don't-" 

"Don't lie!" Ray cut Licht's response. "We all saw it! You had something to do with the experiment. My memories are proof of that. What the hell is this world? What is that monster? What does this all have to do with the experiment? What did you do to us?!"

Licht remained calm despite Ray's heated words. He brought up his hands, turning them over, as if to show that they were anything but dirty.

"I said spill it!"

"Ray, don't!" Leila shouted as she ran to them, taking hold of Ray's clenched hand over the fabric of Licht's clothes.

"That's enough, Ray!" Mina said as she also ran up to the pair.

She placed one hand on Ray's chest and the other on Licht's as she managed to pushed the two apart from each other, making Ray release his hold on Licht's shirt as she stood between them and faced Ray.

"You saw it, didn't you? How he wagged his tail obediently at that old man?" Ray said.

"Do you honestly think we'll be getting any answers like this?" Mina asked.

Ray didn't respond, his sharp eyes settling back on Licht.

Licht cast his gaze downward apologetically.

"I'm sorry. I just can't remember." Licht apologised.

'It really doesn't seem like he's lying.'

Ray slowly seemed to calm down a little and looked away awkwardly as Leila glanced between the three of them.

'Even though they didn't remember each other, he just lost his big brother. There's no way I can just tell him to chill out.' 

The group was surrounded by an uneasy silence.

"Sorry for losing my cool... But I don't know if I can trust you." Ray said.

"Yeah. I understand." Licht answered sadly.

The bells began to ring and Leila felt her consciousness slip away.

****

Leila's eyes bolted open, waking her up swiftly from the nightmare. There was an ache in her chest, and she immediately got up, knowing full well why.

"Ray!"

She scramble to get out of bed, passing Mina's side before she can tell if she's awake or not.

'Ray needs help right now!' Leila thought.

Her footsteps echoed as she dashed towards the hallway, but then she paused, not sure which way to turn.

'What room are they in?'

"It's down the right side, Leila." Subaru instructed as he and Nalalie joined herself and Mina, and Leila gave him an affirmative nod.