fourteen

by that friday, my mom had the name of the restaurant officially changed and had JJ's adoption papers sitting on the judge's desk. we were currently at the restaurant, repainting the outdoor furniture from the ugly color they came in to a beautiful white to match the new signs.

"this is so boring." beck said and swiped the paint brush across the picnic table.

"you've been complaining since we got here, shut up already." katie said. "or i'm going to drown you in the paint."

"hey!" i said. "stop threatening your brother."

katie stuck her tongue out at me as i laughed, shaking my head.

"your lemonade, ma'lady." rafe said and handed me the glass.

"you're the best," i smiled and took it, taking a sip. i handed it back to him as he took a sip, placing it on a table before sitting next to me. rafe and i were put on cornhole duty, repainting the boards.

he did the base coat of white and i went in with a smaller brush and made the designs.

"you're so good at this." he said and watched me. "that looks amazing."

"stop breathing over my neck." i laughed. "you're going to make me mess up."

"you're no fun," he kissed my cheek before going back to his own cornhole board.

"hey, does everyone have their outfit for midsummer tomorrow night?" noelle asked.

"yeah," sarah nodded. "we talked about this in the groupchat earlier."

"oh, i haven't been on my phone."

"i know, my texts have been on delivered for two days now." kie said. "i spilled some major tea."

"god you guys are annoying." topper said as he rounded the corner.

"hey, we said be here at seven am, it's almost noon." i said and looked at him.

"yeah, well i didn't really feel like being here." he laughed as i threw a towel at him. "hey!"

"god, you jerk, we've been out here all day."

"sounds like a you problem." he shrugged.

"come on man, at least go inside and see if faith needs help with the signs." rafe told him.

"fine," he said and went into the restaurant.

"are you excited for your first midsummers tomorrow?" rafe asked as i looked at him.

"yeah," i shrugged with a smile. "it sounds like fun."

"it is," he nodded. "the last couple have been pretty shitty, but i know this year will be different."

"i'd say as long as you don't drop dead or your parent doesn't try to kill you," beck said. "it'll be totally different."

"beck," katie scolded.

"what?" he asked. "i'm just saying."

"that puts a lot of pressure on her though."

"i can promise you one hundred percent, i will not be passing away and my dad will not come back and try to kill me." i smiled.

"good," rafe said. "i'm tired of having overeventful midsummer parties."

"did i hear something about misummers?" we all heard a sweet voice, looking over. i froze and felt myself hold my breath as i saw her standing there. she was smiling wide, her beautiful, curled blonde hair falling over her shoulders. she was wearing a sun dress and some booties. her face was clear and her smile was bright with perfect, white teeth.