one

i was sitting in the backseat on my mom's car, watching out the window, out at the water, while my parents took turns making comments about my life and their sheer disappointment in who i'd ended up. what they didn't know is i'd stopped listening after about five minutes in the car. i didn't care about how they felt, what did they know? nothing about me, that's for damn sure. i finally pulled my eyes away from the window and out the front windshield as my mom pulled into a driveway.

i hadn't seen their house since they moved, that was kind of the point of moving, it wasn't tainted by my brother or i, mostly me. this was their chance to finally be free and live in paradise.

the house was big and white, but since it was dark out, i couldn't see the entire house. however, the house next door was lit up completely and there were cars down the driveway and in the grass. i pulled my earbuds out and heard music as my dad should his head.

"those damn teenagers and their parties."

"it's not our business and the thorton's told us to stop calling the cops every time their kids have a party." my mom replied.

i sat up as my mom pulled into the garage, parking her car. we climbed out and they walked inside, leaving me to get my bags.

"yeah, that's what i thought." i mumbled and pulled them from the trunk, pushing it shut and pulling them into the house. i pushed the door shut behind me as my mom looked down at my shoes still on my feet. i rolled my eyes, kicking them off and moving them to the side with my foot.

"my room?" i asked.

"up the stairs, the door is open." my mom replied. i nodded and pulled my bags behind me over to the stairs. i grabbed them both, even though they were super heavy, and hurried up the stairs. i'd rather have my arms fall off than have to make more than one trip. i got to the top of the stairs and looked down the hall, seeing an open door. i made my way towards it, turning in and seeing the bedroom completely furnished already. i stepped it, pushing the door shut and pushing my earbuds back in my ears. i dropped the bags to the side and walked over to the bay window that over looked the backyard. we had a pool and beautiful flowers planter, along with a boat dock. i looked over at the neighbors backyard. i could see a group of teenagers in the pool swimming as some others played a game of beer pong.

i walked over to my baackpack, unzipping the small pocket on the front. i reached in, grabbing out my pre-rolled blunts and my lighter. i grabbed one of of the ziplock baggie before going over to my door. i pulled it open, looking down the dark hallway as i watched my dad pull their bedroom door shut as the light turned off. my mom always fell asleep the second her head hit the pillow and my dad was always totally oblivious to whatever i was doing.

i shut my light off before moving quickly down the stairs again. i grabbed my shoes from near the garage and went to the backdoor. i pulled it open, stepping out and shutting it. i pulled my shoes on and hurried down to the dock at the bottom of the property where my mom's brand new boat sat. i sat down on the dock, grabbing the weed and lighter from my pocket. i placed it between my lips, lighting up and pushing the lighter back in my sweatshirt. i took a drag, blowing the smoke out slowly as i let my body relax.

i knew tonight my parents were only going easy on me because they were tired, but i knew that tomorrow morning, there'd be hell to pay. they hated me, i knew they did, i ruined their fantasy, just like i always did. while kayden was in florida, working for NASA, i was here after being kicked out of colorado state university. i mean god, all i did was smoke a little weed in my dorm room and then punch my RA because she was a bitch. i was in colorado for god's sake, it's legal there but since i wasn't 21, it really didn't matter.

i watched the soft water, and the small waves. i ran my fingers threw my hair, taking another drag before i heard laughing from behind me. i turned quickly, seeing a girl and a boy stumbling across my yard together.