ten

the following week and my dad was still down in florida, so it was just my mom and i at the restaurant with the cooks and JJ, along with a new server my mom had hired.

"alright, so when you come in, you want to have your uniform already on." i told her, handing her the shirt. "you can get a pair of slacks really anywhere around here. you'll need those before your next shift. you have to wear the tie and apron all the time."

"are there nametags?"

"there are not, but your server booklet, there's a line where you can put your name so regulars can get to know you. and always tell them your name when you greet them."

she nodded as i motioned for her to follow me. i stopped by the office.

"this is the office, you'll get your server book from in here everyday, there's really nothing else in there for anyone but my mom. she does all the banking and stuff." i shrugged, then brought her to the kitchen. "this is the kitchen, obviously. we usually have three cooks, but my dad's on vacation right now, so we just have greg and dave." i pointed at them, they both waved. "guys this is maggie, she's a new server, please don't scare her off."

"no promises," greg smiled as i shook my head. i turned to her.

"they're harmless, maggie." i told her as JJ walked through the door, fixing his tie around his neck. "hey, JJ." i said which made him look up and slow to a stop. "this is maggie, she's the new server my mom hired. maggie, this is JJ, he's cool."

"it's nice to meet you," JJ nodded. "are you training her tonight?"

"yeah," i nodded.

"great, more tables for me." he smiled. "more money."

i chuckled, shaking my head.

"he's stupid," i told her and motioned for her to follow me. we went out in the dining area just as i saw rafe walk through the doors.

"rafe?" i asked. "what are you doing here?"

"your mom asked me to run to the bank for her." he held up an envelope.

"why?"

"because he was headed to the mainland." my mom stated and walked around us from behind. "thank you so much, rafe, you're a blessing."

she touched his face and hurried back to the office.

"i'm going to change," maggie told me and walked into the back as rafe walked over to me with smile.

"look at you in your cute little uniform." he joked.

"shut up," i smiled at him.

"you want to hang out after your shift?" he asked. "my dad and rose are out, i think sarah is inviting everyone over."

"everyone being just the group or everyone being the entire island?"

"i am never sure with her." he shrugged.

"yeah, i'll come over after work." i touched his chest, running my hand across a wrinkle in his shirt.

"great," he said and leaned forward, kissing my cheek. "mind if i steal a soda to go?"

"yeah, go ahead." i laughed as he smiled and hurried back into the kitchen. i went over to the door, switching the sign and going back to the kitchen where i saw maggie now, in her half uniform, her shirt tucked into her jeans. JJ and rafe were playing with the soda machine, mixing different ones into a cup. "okay, i said you could take a soda, not break the machine." i pulled the cup from them.

"no!" they both whined as i laughed. "what is with you two?"

"we were experimenting!" JJ said.

"not anymore." i shook my head.