thirteen

"have a great night," i smiled as the last group of people stepped out of the restaurant. i cleared the dishes, dropping them in the back. i grabbed a rag, wiping down the table before putting the chairs up. i cleaned the floor quickly and turned off the dining room lights. i locked the doors and went back to the kitchen. the chefs waved their goodbyes and dodged out the back as i turned the radio on, letting it play random music as i started cleaning the dishes. i placed the cups on the drying mat as i felt a pair of arms move around my body.

"and she cleans," i heard rafe voice as i laughed. he kissed my shoulder and looked over at him.

"what are you doing here?" i asked.

"sarah and katie wanted me to drive them to get snacks from that stupid place down the street."

i smiled at him as he pulled away. i turned back to the sink.

"well, aren't you a good brother?"

"i'm fantastic." he said. "but come on, they both have their licenses, why do i still have to drive them everywhere?"

"maybe it's just a comfort thing, you know? you've been doing it for years, they probably just love it." i shrugged.

"why do you always know the answer?" he moved next to me as i washed the last dish.

"i don't," i looked up at him. "i just guess and say it with confidence, so people find it as a respectable answer."

he smiled as i placed the bowl on the drying map, turning the water off. i dried my hands and went to turn the radio off, but he grabbed my arm, turning the volume up and letting Sparks by Coldplay play throughout the tony kitchen. i looked into rafe's eyes as he smiled. i let my hand drop, falling into his as he pulled me towards him. he moved his right hand to my hip, letting his left one hold my right hand. i placed my left hand on his shoulder as we started swaying to the music.

"where's you mom?" he asked softly.

"she left a little while ago, she's really stressed out, so she asked me to close down for the night."

"how's she doing?"

"i don't know," i shook my head. "she's got all the rights to the restaurant, but she still has to change the name and get her last name changed, along with hire a new chef and another server."

"she'll get through it, i know she will. she's got you here to help, and me, and everyone else."

i nodded, "yeah, she knows i'm not leaving."

"well until the spring, right?"

"no, i'm not leaving." i shook my head. "i'm staying here, with my mom."

"what about the music?"

"it'll have to stay a hobby, this is my life, this restaurant." i shrugged. "it's always been my life, i just didn't like to say that before."

"well don't let that hobby just disappear, you're good at it, at singing and playing. don't drop that just to make your mom happy."

"i'm not dropping it, just putting a pin in it for now."

he smiled and spun me around and pulled me closer, grabbing my face.

"you know you're perfect, right?"

"no one is perfect," i said.

"you're pretty damn close."

i laughed, watching him.

"you're a lot closer than i am."

he leaned down and kissed me as the song came to and end. we heard giggling and looked over, seeing sarah and katie in the doorway.