CHAPTER 16

"I can't believe you disagree with me on this one. This is a non-issue, Chakotay. It's not open for discussion. We are going back."

"I never doubted we would," Chakotay returned. Their debate was becoming fairly heated. Janeway defended her position, while Chakotay played devil's advocate listing all the possible adverse scenarios he could think of.

"We'll be more prepared this time," she said, as she sat up on the biobed.

"Lie down, Captain," the Doctor ordered and pressed her shoulder back down to help her comply.

Chakotay circled around her and shook his head in disbelief.

"We've already proven we're no match for the defenses of that station. To transport Tuvok back, we're going to have to get even closer to the Anawin planet than we managed last time, and do it before Zeron hits us with the plasma emitter again."

"We'll find a way, Chakotay. There must be a way!"

"Try keeping it down to a dull roar. This is sickbay, not an amphitheatre," the Doctor reminded them, his words earning him a glare from the captain.

"Look, Captain, please listen." Keeping his voice as calm and quiet as he could, Chakotay continued. "I know Tuvok's been your friend for a long time and of course we're going to go back for him, but I really don't think it's a good idea for us to go charging back into Anawin space. At least not until after we've repaired the damage we sustained last time."

Janeway shook her head. "This is ridiculous." She sat upright again. "When can I get out of here?" She pushed the Doctor's medical tricorder away from her forehead.

The Doctor sighed.

"Captain, your central nervous system has taken a beating. I know you won't admit it, but my scans show you're experiencing a migraine tantamount to having your head clamped in a vice. Any other crewmember would be begging me for a high dose pain reliever and crying out to dim the lights."

"I'm fine, really," she tried.

"One hour. Then we'll see how you're doing," the Doctor said and moved on to his next patient.

"Chakotay, please," she whispered. "I am aware of the risks. I'm acutely aware of the dangers of taking Voyager back into Zeron's territory. But I'm also concerned for Tuvok's safety. If Zeron captured Tuvok as an act of revenge..."

Chakotay interrupted her words.

"If Zeron captured Tuvok as an act of revenge, he's probably already dead."

Janeway closed her eyes.

Chakotay stared at her, silent. His emotions were in turmoil. He was sure he was right, but when she opened her eyes, the look she provided him was so dispirited he couldn't shake off her wounded expression.

"We don't have time to debate this, Chakotay. It's more important we come up with some options about how we're going to retrieve Tuvok." She had already set her mind to the task.

"Captain, you know you have my support in the decision to return. I just don't like our chances of eluding a battalion onslaught with damage to so many of our main systems."

"Your objections have been noted, Commander." Janeway cancelled out all of his previous arguments.

Chakotay sighed and sat down on the edge of the biobed.

"There's one other thing," he spoke again, moving closer. "If we do encounter another pulse and find ourselves defenseless in an Anawin stronghold, we might have no option but to move on without Tuvok." They locked eyes. "It's just that Neelix is fighting for his life, and Kylani is dead. I think it's important for us to discuss how many more casualties we're prepared to accept before moving on."