CHAPTER 20

The musty, damp earth that entombed him was suddenly highlighted in bright yellow light allowing Tuvok to take in the shape of his cramped prison cell.

Seated on the ground, he reached out his hand and grasped the solid black bars in front. He could see the cell was locked with a padlock and chain combination that intertwined through the bars. He moved his hand to examine the lock, and as he did so, he felt his limbs collide with the hard earth that surrounded his body.

Like a rabbit in a burrow, Tuvok felt the cold soil touch his limbs on every side, whenever he attempted even the slightest movement. He had sat like this for hours, in the dark, unable to move because of the restricted space of his cell, while he pondered the motive of his captor.

"High Councilor Zeron," the man introduced himself and lifted his hand-held lantern higher.

Tuvok stared at the man's shrouded face and trailing purple robe. He recalled the image from the viewscreen on board Voyager. He'd only caught a glimpse of the High Councilor before being transported from the bridge to the holding cell where he was now located.

"Don't you have anything to say?" Zeron challenged him.

"Captain Janeway will not stand by and allow a member of her crew to be treated in such an unacceptable manner."

Zeron huffed. "You speak boldly for someone in such a meek position. But then you always were a proud, egotistical lot." Zeron approached the prison cell. He towered over Tuvok as he scrutinized his captive. "Was it the captain who filled your head with such grandiose ideas about your worth and value? So full of noble sentiment, it will be her undoing."

"Why are you holding me here?" Tuvok asked.

"You do realize there are worse places I could send you. How's your tolerance to heat?" A slight smile crept over Zeron's lips and Tuvok wondered why the High Councilor had chosen not to execute him by sending him into the Anawin sun. "I watched your little ship and crew limp away. I overestimated their adversarial strength."

Tuvok's face remained unchanged in expression. Inwardly, he acknowledged the logic in the decision to relocate Voyager beyond the boundary of Anawin space and to move on without him.

"So welcome to your new home." Zeron's voice was neither welcoming nor friendly and the quick kick afforded Tuvok through the bars was demonstrative of his vengeful mood. "You haven't asked where you are. Don't you want to know?" Zeron asked.

Tuvok reclaimed his upright pose of meditation, but he didn't say anything, and Zeron continued. "It's called the Sanctuary of the Dead. Although I'm thinking of renaming it. What about the Sanctuary of the Dying and Infirm instead?" Zeron forced out a slight chuckle at his own wit, before crouching down alongside the thick black bars. "I couldn't resist bringing you here... creating such a humbling experience for you."

His finger prodded the dry earth above Tuvok's head and he sent dust particles floating into the air, which Tuvok was forced to inhale. "In fact, I was somewhat surprised to see you. Until today I thought we'd sifted you all out. It's been a few years since I last found a member of your species in hiding."

"I am not familiar with this territory." Tuvok defended his status as a newcomer to the Anawin planet.

"Liar! Your people have plagued our cities for generations."

"I believe you have me mistaken for someone else," Tuvok said, still unable to account for the High Councilor's intense hatred toward him.

"Arrogant, cunning, deplorable Romulans! We were a hospitable people before you arrived, but you betrayed our trust. Never again! You were unwise to return." Each word was punctuated by a sharp kick.