32: Klaus' Daughter

HAYLEY'S POV

"I have one daughter who won't leave my side and the other I'm at war with," I tell Freya. Hope's head was in my lap, I ran my fingers through her silky hair as she slept. "Well, you missed the whole teen stage maybe they're just making sure you get the full experience." She tried to tease though it really wasn't the time. I mean she wouldn't get it. Luna's actually talking to her. 

"Nik hated Keelin and me for years for sending him to the school. She'll get over it." "No, she's too much like her father. She's got it in her head she's going to go through with this. I know her." I was worried, Luna was hunting for her father, she was off out of town right now speaking to some witch from San Francisco. Now Damon's not around there really is nothing stopping her, grounding her. She's not afraid to lose anything because in her eyes she has nothing to lose anymore. Hope was taken care of now I was back and in her eyes, she had done her job. 

Though she knew Hope wouldn't truly be better until her father was back home safe with us all. So she was planning on doing that. But at what cost? Her life? Her sanity? Her humanity? Because God knows how we'd get that back on if she flipped the switch. 

"She'll calm down eventually, she'll think the plan through realising there's nothing she can do and she'll be your sweet little Luna again." "She's not the same girl we left behind... She is not the same girl we died on and she's certainly not the same girl we dropped off at the school." I tell her honestly. "She's grown up. She was married, she had a career." "Of course. I wanted that for her, but that darkness in Klaus' eyes. The pain, the anger that would hide his vulnerability I see that peeking through in her eyes." I looked down at Hope. "It's going to take over, Freya. The same way it did with Klaus and-" I cut myself off feeling tears brewing. "It's not going to come to that. She's still processing the loss of her husband. "2 years... If she was going to process it she would have started by now. She lives in her own world." "Maybe that's for the best." "No, it's not. Because in her world she can win. And life isn't a game you win or lose at." 

"Hope seems to be coping better." She said trying to change the topic to a more positive one. "Yeah, yeah she is." I smiled. Hope had been a lot less dark and twisty. She's smiling more. Watching her be so miserable when there was no way of getting to her killed me inside. The bond my nieces and nephews had with my daughter warmed my heart though. They did truly look out for one another. Penelope and Hope hated each other in school and now Penelope stays with her whilst Josie is at work to make sure she's okay. They're actually pretty close. 

--------

"Where have you been?" I ask my eldest daughter who just walked into the apartment I was staying at. "Hell... Made a deal with the devil and everything. Even brought a t-shirt." She says with a sarcastic smile on her lips. "That's not funny," I warn her. "Deals with the devil are serious Luna and you can't-"I didn't really take a trip to Hell. Think about it." She said setting her stuff out on the kitchen table, she began to write completely focus on that. "Hope's gone Home." "That's good. Josie's missed her." She said not looking up at me she wrote quickly not taking her eyes off the letters. I observed her, she'd go from writing as her life depended on it to reading some old book she had laid out. 

No one could deny her work ethic, I just wish she wasn't in the retrieving souls business. I mean she has her Bar, if she focused on that I'd support her. Bring Klaus back from the dead, the most hated man in the world just wasn't something I wanted my daughter to do. 

Her phone rang. "Hello... Okay, I'll be down in two seconds." She said still writing. When she finished she stood up. "Bar needs me. A fight." She says before exiting the room. She left her notes open and her phone on the table so I knew she wouldn't be very long.