Chapter 19: Cell

Technoblade's tired eyes slowly opened as he shuffled around slightly. Whatever he was sleeping on, it wasn't his bed, or at least the one he was used to.

His vision was blurry from his eyes being closed for so long. He knew it would take them a little bit of time to warm up. However, he was more concerned with where he was right now.

The surface he had woken up on was hard and cold as the air around him which smelt... off. He wasn't in his home; that was certain. This place smelt almost like the nether, smokey yet arid, while still smelling like the caves he had ventured deep below the surface.

There was something glowing in his peripheral vision. In fact, the whole dark room he was in was lit up in a reddish orange glow. The tone itself was too hard to be from torchlight or lanterns.

He could feel his eyes adjust as the room he was in became clearer and sharper. He could make out that the glowing object was a chunk of glowstone placed on obsidian walls.

Obsidian. That wasn't a good sign. He didn't know many who purposely used obsidian just as decoration.

He also noticed a lectern placed by a chest. Above this, there was a gold clock on the wall, showing the time was slightly past midnight.

He craned his neck to peer around the room. All the other walls were empty, just plain obsidian. That was until his eyes landed on the wall behind him.

There, stood a thick barrier of netherite blocks, behind which was a burning lava wall. He tore his red eyes away from the lava abruptly to look over the whole room once again.

There were no obvious exits. Whoever had put him in here had intended that he would stay here. And by looking at the possibilities, it was most likely he was being held by those who saw him as a criminal; L'Manburg.

The situation itself was not a good one. They had caught him when he was at his most defenceless. Over winter, Technoblade found himself dropping into deep, long sleeps on and off over the few months. He assumed it was a form of hibernation. However, it had been an issue to deal with its uncertainty in the past. And now was a perfect example of one of these 'issues'.

He slowly got to his knees. All his muscles were still unbearably stiff from not being used in a while, yet Techno decided to ignore it completely.

Once on his feet, he was able to get a clear look of the place. His eyes landed on the ground which was also obsidian and noticed a glass of water and a raw potato had been placed next to the netherite barrier.

He gulped, realising how dry his throat was, yet his brain urged him not to drink the water that had been placed before him. Walking up to it, he bent down and picked up the raw potato, raising it towards his nose.

It smelt like earth, as he expected. But at the same time, the potato itself seemed like a mockery to him, so he placed it back down and picked up the water instead.

He inspected it thoroughly; peering into the clear liquid for any signs of discolouration or an off scents it emitted. It all seemed normal, however the Blade would not be fooled. He knew that many poisons and drugs used for spiking drinks were imperceptible.

He slowly brought the cup to his lips, taking the tiniest sip he was able to manage. Then he washed the liquid around his mouth, relishing the feeling of the dryness disappearing while staying aware if his tastebuds picked up anything unusual about it.

It didn't seem like anything other than water though, causing him to instinctively take another sip, then another. That was until he had finished half the glass, where he put it back down to stop himself from having any more. It would be unwise for him to drink it all if there was still a chance of there being something else in the cup besides water.