Chapter 11: Sign Right Here

Sometimes we can't see what's right in front of us.
Sometimes we ignore all the warnings.
Sometimes we don't read the fine print.

You'd think if you were signing your life away you'd pay a little more attention, but a wolf in sheep's clothing can be persuasive, so much so that you don't even consider that you should read what you sign. Of course, desperation can also make even the most rational person act without caution. 

Robert had convinced Katya that he was her only choice, of course he didn't truly know why she had left Russia, but he did know that she was desperate to move elsewhere. Had Katya known how the man treated his staff or how antiquated his view of women in general were, things might have gone differently. But to her, he was simply a man who was desperate enough for love to import a bride.
So, here they were, a contract on the table in front of them, ready to be marked with the ink from the fountain pen in Katya's hand. 

"It's just the first step in getting our marriage legalized, the rest will come after the ceremony. This is just some basic things surrounding my assets, nothing for you to worry about. All you have to do is sign on the line, just right here." Robert told her, pointing towards a dotted line at the bottom of the page.

He spoke to her like a child at times, something she hated but kept her mouth shut about. Part of her wanted to ask questions, get a more detailed look at everything, but he was a lawyer after all and he'd been good to her so far for the most part, so she figured he knew what was best and what documents needed to be signed. 
And so the ink hit the page, the Russian's skillful hand writing down her full name beautifully, the black letters screaming out to be erased from their white canvas. But they were trapped, her name permanently glued to the page.

"Perfect." The man said, smiling widely as he picked up the document and placed it in a locked drawer in his desk.

A knock on the door suddenly rang through the room, seeming much louder in Katya's ears than it actually was, the sound a pleasant break from the awkward silences between her and her soon-to-be husband. 

"Sorry to interrupt, Mr. Miller. But I've finished going through the call logs, and I figured you'd want them as soon as possible." A familiar female voice said from the other side of the door. 

Katya felt a rush of energy surge through her at the girl's voice, doubting the assumptions made by her brain and yet finding herself hoping she was right, even though she knew that if she was it would complicate everything.

"Of course, come in Mattel. There's someone I'd like you to meet anyways." Robert replied in a smug tone.

He stepped in front of his desk, putting an arm around Katya's waist and pulling her close in a manner that made her want to knee him in the groin. Moments like that made her feel uneasy, unsure of who the man she was marrying truly was. All thoughts of Robert left her however once the door opened to reveal a familiar life-size Barbie doll, the one and only Trixie Mattel. 

"There's no way..." Katya whispered to herself as she took in Trixie's beauty. 

The woman was even prettier than she had looked through the screen, and Katya's mind couldn't help but replay the images of the flawless body which she knew was hidden underneath the girl's hot pink skirt and blazer.

While Katya had gotten a short warning that the woman she'd fantasized about so much was about to walk through the door, Trixie had no such preparation and so she stood there eyes wide, gawking at the stunning woman whom she had believed to still be in Russia. 

Robert was the one to break the silence, the man speaking without noticing the way the two women were staring at each other in shock. 

"Trixie, meet my bride to be. This is Ka-"

"Katya." Trixie whispered out, mouth agape as she pinched herself to double-check if she was dreaming.

Katya was there... and Katya was getting married to her boss.

"You two know each other?" Robert asked, looking towards Katya suspiciously. 

He didn't know, Trixie realized.
He didn't know what Katya had been working as, this was why she had closed her account so suddenly. For whatever reason, he didn't know and Katya needed to keep it that way.

"No, of course not." Katya protested, her eyes practically begging Trixie not to tell the truth.

And whilst Trixie would love to say how the woman had rocked her world and made her feel more alive than ever before, she held her tongue and made up a quick lie.

"No, I just overheard the receptionists gossiping about you and your fiancé."

"Ah, of course. Well, I want you to make her feel welcome whenever she comes by and please have her waiting by your desk if I'm not in my office." Robert instructed. 

"Of course, Mr. Miller." Trixie replied politely. 

Her eyes weren't looking at him though, they were still staring at the beautiful Russian woman on his arm, burning holes into his hand resting on the girl's stomach. 

Trixie could understand why Katya hadn't told him about her life as a camgirl, but what she couldn't understand was why she hadn't ever mentioned that she was going to get married. Of course, she was in no way obligated to, but still a part of Trixie ached knowing that she hadn't even been given a chance to protect the Russian from the asshole that was her boss. 

And an even more hidden part of her, in the very core of her heart, was aching because she now realized that there was truly no hope of Katya somehow ending up in her arms.