Chapter 19: Dreaming and Drinking

"Rough night?" The bartender asked Katya as she sat down on a barstool.

"Very. Give me four shots of vodka and the strongest drink you have." She said, laying her card on the counter.

"Four shots of vodka isn't strong enough for yah?" He asked jokingly. Katya gave him a stare that made it clear that she was very much not amused. "Tough crowd... I'll have it ready for you in a minute."

Soon after, a tray with four shots was placed in front of Katya, along with a bright orange drink which looked more like juice than alcohol. She stared at it curiously for a moment before looking up at the bartender.

"What is this?"

"It's a Zombie, don't judge that on how it looks. That thing, it's deadly. It's got 4 different types of rum in it." The man replied.

"Okay then."

Katya downed the four shots quickly, seeing the shock on the bartender's face at her pace. She didn't care what he thought about her, she just needed to forget, needed to feel free even if she wasn't. Next she went to work on the cocktail. He was right, she realized, it was way stronger than it looked.

"Woah, take it easy there tiger." The bartender said as she quickly drank the cocktail.

"Give me another." She said, her accent stronger than usual.

"Well, alright, but try to go slower with the next one."

Katya nodded, thinking about how she should've gone slower with Robert, should have learned more about thim before she willingly threw herself into the lion's den.
Then she thought of Trixie.
Lovely, attractive, caring Trixie.
Beautiful Trixie who would be heartbroken once Katya told her everything.

"Whiskey on the rocks, please." A man's voice said. He sat down by the counter, only two stools away from Katya. "Orange juice?" He added in a question when the bartender put Katya's drink down in front of her.

"It is called a zombie, very strong. Stronger than it looks." The Russian replied. "Two more shots of vodka, please."

"Coming right up." The bartender said.

"You must be looking to get drunk." The man beside her replied. She didn't know why, but he seemed somewhat familiar to her.

"That would be correct. Drinking away the pain! You know, in Russia no one expects to be happy. But here... here you have the American dream! Here you chase happiness. I chased happiness... But now I will loose any chance of having it." Katya said, her words coming out slightly slurred.

"You sound like you've got a story to share."

"You would listen?"

"I would, I've got nothing better to do. My wife's mad at me because I won't be home on the day of our anniversary. She kicked me out of the house and told me not to come back until I'd gotten it fixed, so I've got some time." The man said, thanking the bartender for the drink he'd just put in front of him right after.

"Well, I was a school teacher back in Russia, teaching English. But I lost my job... I had relationships with women, Mother Russia does not like that... Things got hard, and I needed money, so I became a camgirl. It went okay, but I could never know if I would have enough money for rent or not." Katya explained, taking large sips of her drink every now and then.

"Wow, that's a lot. So how'd you end up here?"

"I wanted... no I needed to leave Russia... My friend mentioned this.. this site where people look for Russian wives. I did not have much hope, but I met a man called Robert Miller. He was a lawyer and seemed kind, and he really wanted to get married fast. I thought it was the best choice. But now I will loose the woman I love...."

"A woman? Is she in Russia?" He asked.

"No... she is here. She works for him, but I met her before." Katya said before downing another shot.

"Where?"

"When I was a camgirl... she found me and had private talks. She is... I can not even explain.. just the most beautiful woman. I fell in love with her... even through a screen... I fell. But now I will loose her... My Trixie..."

Katya wasn't sure why she was telling him her sorrowful story, but she found a strange sort of comfort in talking to the stranger, perhaps because she knew that she'd likely never see him again once she left the bar and so any judgments he had wouldn't truly matter.

"Can't you just end your engagement?" The man asked.

"No... he has a contract. He tricked me... If I leave I will have to pay so much money... too much." Katya cried, laying her head down on the counter.

The man rubbed her back in a calming motion, whispering soft words of encouragement and comfort. He was unusually kind, but not in such a way where Katya felt uncomfortable about it. Instead it felt like talking to a friend or a kind older neighbor.

"I'm sure things will work out, Katya. You'll get to be with your Trixie, just you wait and see. Don't give up. Now, I suggest you drink some water and call her, ask her to come pick you up. I should go make some calls myself so the wife will let me back into the house. But I wish you the very best." He said before paying for his drink and heading out the door.

Katya didn't take his advice about drinking water, finishing her drink and downing her last shot instead, but she did decide to call Trixie. With shaking hands she scrolled through her contacts, pushing the call button next to Trixie's name.

"Katya, hi! Did you talk to him?" The girl greeted.

"Trixie... can you come pick me up? I am at the little bar.. you know.. near his house... the one with the lion sign."

"Oh, of course... I'll be there soon, okay? Don't go anywhere."