Chapter 3. Damage

Days after Until Dawn: 3

Jessica Riley was a girl who had been up on that mountain only a year ago.

Jessica Riley had been the head of the prank that killed Hannah.

Karma really is a bitch for Jessica Riley.

Nightmares haunted her frequently but she didn't have the words to scream. She had lost her voice from screaming for Mike to save her. Lost her voice from screaming for the helicopter to reach them.

Them. Her and Matt. Yes.

She sometimes had to think about the night she had. She sometimes forgot some things that had happened. When those 'sometimes' happened, they were the best times that she could ask for.

She wished she could forget all of it. But the thing was, she couldn't. She never could.

It always came back to her one way or another. The doctors told her that one day she might not think about it as often. But every time she would see Mike what would happen? She would forget him running after her? Trying so hard to get to her?

She had been getting sedated mostly. That was all the doctors could do with her. Her nightmares infiltrated her mind even when she was unconscious.

Feeling her jaw getting ripped off wasn't exactly a pleasant thing to experience. Especially when it was more than once.

She screamed for help so much in one of her dreams that when she woke up her throat was sore. She wasn't sure whether or not it was from her screaming or just a coincidence. It didn't help her at all though.

She had been out for three days. In and out really. She hadn't seen anyone of the group when she had been under. But on the morning of the fourth day, there he was.

"Hey, Jess."

She had gotten her voice back a day or so before he came.

"Matt." He smiled at her doorway. He was still wearing his battered blue jacket even though he had torn it. He had caught her staring at his jacket and put his hands in the pockets of it.

"Nice huh? I'm going for the hole look." He said.

She smiled. It was the first time she had since the night on the mountain.

"Yeah it looks great."

Matt chuckled and then walked towards one of the sides of her bed.

"I ran out. Got these for you. They reminded me of you." He held up an arrangement of red and pink flowers. "I thought they looked pretty." He explained.

He already had a vase ready on her bedside table. He must've left it there one of the days she had been out.

"What happened?" She asked.

He sighed. "We're at the hospital. Been here for a few days now. They sent me to one of the rooms in the hallway that everyone else is in for a broken finger and some bruised ribs. Nothing too serious for me. They're saying it's a miracle that you're alive though."

She looked at the flowers he had given her. "And the others?"

Matt shook his head. "I have no idea. I haven't gotten to see anyone besides you. They won't let them have visitors. They don't even let them have the doors open during the day in there."

"So you don't even get to see Emily?" Jess asked.

Matt laughed. "Oh I got to see her." He laughed again.

"Yeah I- I got to see her alright."

He looked towards Jess and then wiped his face with his hands. "I overheard her questioning. Called me a meatbrain, douche nozzle. She was very upset I hadn't grabbed her off of that fire tower I fell from. If I did I would've died. I know that for a fact. So she dumped me because I apparently didn't care about her enough to save her."