Chapter 10. Monster

Days After Until Dawn: 12

Jess was still in her room. She had gotten better yes, but she was still recovering. Her nightmares remained. Matt came to visit every single day. He had practically been living at the hospital.

She had told him he didn't have to. That she was okay by herself. She didn't know if he could tell that she was lying or he needed her as much as she needed him.

She had decided on it being both.

"Hey Jess, I went out, got some coffee and a sandwich." He had been leaving every morning to get her breakfast. It was something different everyday.

"Thank you." She said to him. It was maybe 10 or 10:30 by the time he was back.

Matt sat down in his normal chair and grabbed the donut that he had gotten for himself.

"How'd you sleep? I didn't wake up at all." Matt said.

"Oh I slept pretty good actually. I don't remember dreaming about anything." Jess said.

Matt smiled. "Today's gonna be a good day then."

They both sat together, eating their food but they were interrupted by a doctor that walked in.

"Hi Mr. Taylor, good to see you." The doctor greeted.

Matt nodded with a full mouth as the doctor directed his attention to Jess.

"You should be good to leave in a day or two. You would still need to take it easy with your ribs and your leg healing but you should be okay. Living with someone would help with your circumstances."

Jess looked towards Matt and before she could even ask, Matt was already offering.

"You could stay with me, if you wanted." He said.

They each looked at the doctor and he smiled at both of them. "Yes, that's fine, I'll mark down that address and I'll see when exactly you two can get out of here."

The doctor left the two of them in the room to finish their breakfastand by the time they did, it was about 11.

"So we're off then. I never really thought I'd be living with you, I mean, after everything." Matt said.

Jess looked around the room until her eyes met Matt's. "Hey, I just wanted to say I'm sorry. The last few days I haven't been able to say it because I was trying to sort everything else out. But the arguement between me, you, Mike and Emily, I was unfair."

Matt shook his head.

"You were okay. Emily kept telling me to be quiet anyway. You barely said anything towards me. I was just trying to diffuse the situation but Emily just kept at it." He almost laughed at it.

"I don't know why I stayed with her for so long." He said.

Jess moved in her bed a little. "You know, I never figured out how you two got together in the first place." She said.

Matt sighed and leaned forward, clasping his hands together. "Well I guess it started during  prom. Maybe a little before that. I thought that she was pretty. That's why I wanted to dance with her.

But then her and Mike started dating which I thought was weird since him and Sam were- well you know. But then they broke up after the twins went missing and she came to me for comfort I guess. We bonded but then she was never like that with me again.

She was always so mean to me after but I thought that maybe she'd go back to the way she was but I was just kidding myself."

Jess shook her head. "She doesn't know what she missed out on, that's all."