Chapter 18. Journey

Days After Until Dawn: 1

Sam hadn't really known what was going on when the helicopter came. She thought that maybe she had died. The explosion, the shock, the hypothermia was too much and she just died.

But when she looked over to her right and saw Mike coming to her aid, she hoped she was still alive. She saw him saying something while he was looking up and that's when she had first looked up at it. She heard the helicopter blades before but she didn't know their source.

Mike's touch on her back had brought her back to life. She knew she was alive. She felt the gust of wind on her skin and sound slowly crawled it's way back into her ears.

"Sam! I need you to take my hand!" He said.

She didn't ask why. She didn't even need to know why. She did it in an instant. It was his good hand. He had touched her with his bad hand. She knew that he'd be put into the hospital right along with her.

It eased her mind. Knowing she wouldn't be alone. The helicopter started to get closer to the ground as the group of five backed away, giving it some space.

Sam hadn't let go of his hand the whole time. Not when the people explained that they were there to rescue them. Not when they got onto the helicopter. Not when they took their seats.

Earmuffs were put on their heads so the helicopter wouldn't deafen them. Even though it had already when it landed next to them.

It was when Sam had to let go of Mike when she lost her sense of everything. She didn't know how cold she was until he was gone.

They tried to question her. She had turned off any sense of emotion on her face. No fear. No happiness from getting rescued. She hadn't known this at the time but some of the others had done the same thing. Emily and Ashley were full of emotion. Matt had a regretful voice when he talked about Emily. And Jess, she didn't have any emotion but no one was sure she was doing that on purpose.

She had barely remembered any of the first questions. After they asked her name and she answered, it was a blank. She knew she had told them to go back to the mine at the end. But then they had taken her out of there. She was transported to a hospital.

She didn't fight it. She didn't do anything at all. Until she realized that she had no idea where she was and she had no idea where any of her friends were either.

"No! No!" Her screams filled the air and it was like she couldn't even breathe she screamed so much. It didn't help her pneumonia at all but she didn't care.

They carried her to her room and they had to strap her down at first because she just kept thrashing around. She would've hurt herself if they didn't put the straps on.

After a while she stopped and they started examining her. She could feel tears coming down her face.

They were silent. The doctors released her hands and her feet from their straps and left her in the room to change into a hospital gown. She didn't want them to get rid of her clothes but at the same time, she was thankful.

She felt her whole body shaking when she stripped down into her bra and panties. She wrapped her arms around her torso in an attempt to warm herself but it was useless.

"Fuck." She shivered. She rubbed her hands up and down her arms but that didn't help either.

She quickly put on her gown but that didn't help with how cold it was. She knew she had pneumonia. That much was obvious. She wouldn't be so cold if she didn't.

She felt herself starting to cry again as she made her way underneath the blankets on her bed. She longed for Mike. Her protector. She didn't know whether or not she was his.