Chapter 19. Disappearance

Days After Until Dawn: 15

Mike woke with a start when he realized he was alone in the house. He looked around for Sam but he couldn't find her anywhere.

He rubbed his hands through his hair and checked his phone.

Nothing. He knew something was wrong. He could feel it in his stomach.

She wouldn't have left without saying something. Especially after what they had all seen. The Wendigos being back had her terrified to go outside. At least that's what he had thought.

He remembered that she had told him about wanting to go out with him whenever they could. Whenever they were recovered. Fully.

He thought he had made that part clear. The two of them were still feeling the side effects of pneumonia and their other wounds. But it was almost like it had gone one ear and out the other.

He had both of his hands on his face now. He didn't know what to do. He didn't even know where to start looking.

He called her.

No answer.

He called everyone else to see if they knew where she was. But no one did. He tried his best to sound as calm as he could over the phone. But he didn't know how convincing he sounded.

Then he remembered. It was like a eureka moment. That's what his mother always used to say. She taught him more than his father ever could. Or any teacher.

He switched on the tv and flicked through the channels. It didn't take him long to find a story on the Wendigos. They weren't calling them that though. More 'monster'. Not that it really mattered.

It cut out in front of him and then he saw the top right corner showing that it was live.

'And we're back with this horrendous story on these cannibal monsters. As you can see, we're far enough away so they won't be able to see us. We've also made the conclusion that even if you are close to them, without moving they will not see you. They only see you when you move. But I would not recommend trying it out for yourself.'

The camera cut to the side of a mountain where multiple Wendigos came cascading out of there. Mike put his hands to his mouth. His bad hand was on top and he could feel the blood pumping straight to it.

Before he could watch anymore of it, he grabbed his coat and ran out of the house, slipping on his boots with every step he took.

He was still in his pajamas. But he knew he didn't have any time to change. He needed to go as soon as he saw where the Wendigos were.

He knew he had some extra clothes in the backseat of his truck. He and Sam had their fair share of nights where they sat together in the back. Even if it had only been two weeks since the incident, they seemed normal. They seemed like they had been together for as long as he could remember.

He clenched his hands on the steering wheel as he drove. He found himself resisting the urge to stop when there was a stop sign or a red light. He just wanted to get to Sam. But him dying wasn't going to help her at all.

He got there. He saw the tv cameras and the vans. There was police tape at a certain point. He was stopped as soon as he reached it.

"I'm sorry sir but no one is permitted beyond this point." The officer said.

"Don't you understand?" He asked them.

"My girlfriend is up there and we just survived the whole god damn night together and now she's gonna get herself killed. You can't- I can't let this happen again. I can't let another person get hurt on my watch." He said.