Chapter 16. Problem

Days After Until Dawn: 13

"Okay well now that we're all caught up, what in the fuck are we going to do?"

Mike had both of his hands on the table. Chris, Ashley, Sam, Matt and Emily all sat in front of him. They had all been informed. Some had even encountered them.

Even with their different levels of experience, no one had an answer for him.

He slammed his hand on the table. "Fuck!" He said.

"Look Mike, I don't know what you're expecting from us. it's only been a couple weeks. Not even a month, What are we supposed to do? Go back to the mountain?" Matt asked.

"No one's saying that." Mike said.

He looked towards Sam. "It'd be too much to go back." He said.

Chris was holding Ashley's hand when he glared at Mike. "What are we supposed to do? We aren't professionals with this shit! We could easily get killed!"

"So what, you just want to leave everyone else to fend for themselves?"

"That's what we did-."

"And we barely made it out of there alive!"

Mike slammed his hand on the table so hard that everyone thought he might've broken it.

He put his hand in his hair. "I can't just leave all these people to 'fend for themselves' when we're the reason why they're in this mess." He said.

Chris looked down at his lap, decidedly done trying to argue with Mike. Especially because of what he had just said.

"I realize that none of us know what we're doing and I know how dangerous it is. But I want to at least try. I'm not going to force any of you to do it with me, but I just figured I would make the suggestion while we're all here." He explained.

"We aren't all here." Matt said.

Everyone turned to look at him. "Mike's right. We barely made it out alive, but look at Jess. The doctors said that if they got to her any later she would have died. And Josh, he was down in those mines way longer than any of us were."

He shook his head. "All I'm saying is, I want to make sure they're better before we start anything. Or if not, we don't drag them into this shit. They've already been through enough."

Mike nodded, agreeing with him. He looked at Sam, who had her hands folded on the table in front of her.

He sighed. "How is Jess, Matt?" He asked.

Matt tilted his head. Everyone was focusing on their conversation. "She's still recovering. We're not sure when exactly she'll get out but telling her this, it definitely wouldn't help." He said.

Mike had his hand on his face and moved it down.

Emily stood up and started walking out of the room with an anger to her strut. "Fuck." Mike whispered.

He hadn't had a choice with inviting her. He knew he needed everyone that he could get. Everyone that could handle it at least. Which he wasn't sure most of them should even be thinking about the Wendigos anymore.

"I'll go and- talk to her." Mike said. Sam turned to watch him leave. She felt her palms start to sweat as she was surrounded by the people that she had been separated from on the mountain. She would probably sound clingy compared to any other person, but she needed him. He made her safe.

Ashley and Chris spoke amongst themselves while Matt had his arms crossed. His back turned. Sam had a hard time swallowing. She closed her eyes and breathed. And that's when she heard them talking.