Chapter 1. Resurface

Days after Until Dawn: 8

"Come on man there's no way that anyone else survived. You saw those kids. They were banged up as is and they weren't down here for long. There's no way-"

"Will you shut up? We need to look down here because it's our job. I know you're freaked out. I am too. Those stories those kids were telling. What the fuck are we supposed to make of that? A monster? What was it they said?"

"Wendigo."

A silence fell over the two park rangers that had been sent to look for remaining survivors of the mountain. They had been told to go into the mines by a girl who they had thought was delirious but when the others backed up her story, they had no choice but to go.

"Damnit. I hate this fucking place. Who decided to build a lodge up here?"

"Some rich asshole."

They both chuckled to themselves, breaking the silence that surrounded them in those mines.

"Are these even mines anymore? It's like tunnels. What the hell happened here?"

"Fuck if I know."

One of the rangers shivered and crossed his arms over his chest.

"God, it's cold." He said.

The other ranger laughed at him.

"What?"

The other ranger put his hands in the air.

"Nothing. Nothing." He said, the smile still present on his face.

"How did those kids go hours out here? They didn't even have coats or anything. Most of them had hypothermia when they were taken in for questioning."

"Maybe because they weren't over here talking like you idiots. Running on adrenaline is what kept them alive." The third ranger jogged from behind them.

"Where were you?"

"Uh- I told you I had to take a piss. Do you guys not listen?" She asked.

The two other rangers looked at each other and then shrugged when turning back to the female.

"Real nice, guys." She said, walking in front of them while they strayed behind.

The two men helped bring up the back behind the woman. They each had flashlights and the woman had the only gun holstered on her waist.

Each of the rangers were terrified but they each showed it in different ways. The woman showing more aggression while the men talked amongst themselves quietly behind her.

"Wait, guys." The woman held her hand up and all three of the rangers stopped.

"Do you hear that?"

The two men listened for a moment and at first all they could hear was the dripping of water in the mine, the echo of their hushed voices still bouncing off the walls.

Then they all heard it. It sounded like someone was talking to someone else. The woman had her hand already on her gun before anyone could tell her to grab it. She had been trained in situations like this. Search and rescues that may have gone amiss when an unknown suspect was involved.

They turned a corner to actually hear the words being spoken instead of the mumbling. It was a male and they could hear the repetition of the word 'no'.

"Slowly." The woman ordered.

One of the male rangers grabbed his walkie and was ready to make the call back to the helicopter that there was another survivor.