A Long Way Down - Angst

Possible Tw for: su!c!de, death, brief mentions of blood and hospitals, please keep yourself safe, and let me know if I missed anything!

Puffy looks down at the ground far bellow her, and then back at the sidewalk, so close and yet impossibly far away.

She takes a step towards it, the last logical parts of her brain trying to will her body away from the edge, but the thoughts take over again, pulling her back towards the railing.

It would be so easy, she realizes, she could just step onto the railing, walk forward, and it's all be done. And she'd finally be free. No more pain, no more loss, no more spending weeks working on something only to be one-upped by somebody who didn't even try.

Niki would probably be happier as well, she mused. After all, it would take no time at all for her to find someone new. Someone more deserving of her love than the mess Puffy has turned into.

She pulls out her phone and considers calling someone, someone to say a last goodbye to, but ends up settling for a text instead, that way nobody could interrupt her before she's gone.

'Hey Niki, by the time your reading this I'll be gone, and it's probably for the better. So goodbye. I'm sorry I couldn't be better, and I'm sorry I was so useless. I hope you find somebody better, someone more deserving of your love. See you in the next life, and remember how much so love you'

And before she knew it the send button was pressed and the phone thrown over the edge. She approached the railing again, peering over at the empty roads. The yellow stripes were pealing with age, and the concrete itself was gray and uneven.

She took one final look around, taking in the world for one last time, before she pulled herself onto the thin bar formally separating her from the drop below. She sighed one past time, before she turned to face the sidewalk and leaned backwards, letting gravity take her.

She felt the wind ruffle her hair, blowing tears she hadn't known she had been crying fly up in front of her face, and ironically, she felt more alive than ever before, falling to her death off a bridge. And that was that. All of a sudden, she was no longer falling, the world went black before the impact hit her, and Puffy Taeken fell asleep for the last time.

If she had woken up again, she might of heard the sirens as they approached a blood covered street, might have heard the cries of a young girl sobbing in a hospital waiting room, her girlfriend on life support a few rooms down. She might have heard the beeping of a heart monitor measure her fading pulse, might have heard the sobs for someone to do something, to help her, when it finally stopped.

But alas, she did not, and a few days later a new gravestone was placed in the cemetery, her name neatly scrolled on it and her body laid in a coffin six feet below, finally resting, finally free.

Word count: 507

Whew, this is a long one. Or at least long for me. Sorry it's been so long, I went back to school, and have also been dealing with my own mental health problems, so I haven't had much energy to write. Hopefully the next gap won't be nearly as long 😅

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed, and see you next time!