dream a better dream

hello my little muppets!! happy wednesday!

im gonna be quite frank here and say i'm not sure what this is either. it's a request fill for erikascadys on tumblr, and they requested a sharkboy and lavagirl au! so, i hope you enjoy!

i don't think there's any necessary trigger warnings, but as always please let me know if you find anything and i will add them in :)

EDIT TO CLARIFY THING: janis is lavagirl and damian is sharkboy :)) ok that's that

enjoy!

—-

Cady has always been a dreamer.

Growing up in Kenya, it was nearly the only thing she could do to entertain herself. Sure, she had a few toys, or books to read, or lions to chase. But in terms of other humans, all she had were her parents and her dreams.

Her personal favorite dream first appeared one night when she was ten. Cady's family had just gotten the news that her older brother, Rhys, had been killed in the line of combat. The only place Cady has as an escape from her grief is in her dreams.

She dreams of two people. Friends. A boy and a girl. The boy is part human, part shark. He has legs, but also fins. A human face, but shark teeth. And human hands, but sharp claws. In spite of everything, he seems kind. He cares for his shark friends and all the fish, carefully tends to the corals and feeds the seaweed and anemones. Cady cleverly dubs him Sharkboy.

The girl is very different. She's made of lava and fire, with bright pink hair and the ability to shoot lava from her hands. Cady doesn't know much else about her. She names her Lavagirl and leaves it at that.

-

Cady frantically writes her dream in her dream journal when she wakes up the next morning. She's kept one since she learned how to write, detailing all her most precious dreams. She has a feeling this one is extra special.

"I'm going to the watering hole to take a bath!" She yells to her parents as she runs out of their tent. Her dad grabs her by the back of her shirt and scoops her up before she can make it out. "Hey!"

"Why are you suddenly so eager to take a bath?" Her dad asks, setting her down again.

"I'm not! I'm just excited for the day! I had a super special dream!" Cady says, bouncing up and down a few times. Her dad gives her a sad smile and ruffles her hair.

"Okay. Watch for crocs and hurry back for breakfast, binti."

"I will!" Cady says, dashing out again.

-

After a quick but expert assessment, Cady dubs the small pool to be free of crocodiles and any other predators. The zebras wouldn't be drinking here for so long, otherwise. Cady leaps in with a small splash and opens her eyes under the water. She's been trying to learn how to do that recently.

But someone else is there. She screams and pops her head back above the surface. The figure follows. "Sharkboy?"

"Yeah!" Sharkboy says. "Hi!"

"You're real?" Cady asks in awe.

"Yeah, duh! I'm right here," Sharkboy says.

"Whoa," Cady whispers. "Um... can I finish my bath, please? Then we can get to know each other!"

"Oh! Yeah, sorry!" Sharkboy says, turning around and covering his eyes. Cady swims back down and finishes cleaning herself, then dries herself off and gets dressed. Sharkboy swims up and rests on the shore.