40

40

I am very glad last chapter touched home in hearts and lives of many. Thank you so much for all comments and messages.

***

Shivangi hid herself in her room and sneaked a peak at two people sitting in their living room. She wished she could hear what they were talking about.

When Ashwin came home to pick her up, instead of joining him directly in the car, she invited him to her house. Without her mother or brother to keep Ashwin occupied, Shivangi knew her father will be forced to play the host. Leaving them behind, Shivangi excused herself saying she will be back soon, she has been hiding in her room trying to gauge if the two men were able to get together with no one to mediate.

Though Shivangi couldn't hear them talk, she could see their body language express a friendliness that she didn't expect. In fact from what she observed, it was Ashwin who was making a lot of effort in keeping the conversation alive when they both go silent. She knew how challenging it is for him to try and be this inclusive when he isn't yet very close to her father. Ashwin was taking this effort for her and she absolutely loved him for it.

Both the men sighed in relief when they saw Shivangi walk down the stairs with a wide smile trying to hide her sneakiness.

"Enna peseete enna maranduteengala?" she said.

(Did you forget me midst your talks?)

Shivangi's father who understood every bit of her plan shook his head with a barely there smile. Shivangi beamed widely at her father grateful that he is already putting efforts in getting to know Ashwin.

"Appa, dress fitting ku porom. Seekiram vandiruven." She said.

(We are going for dress fitting. Will be back soon)

Along with 'bye' she hugged her father something she hasn't done in a long time. Shivangi's father patted her head fondly.

Ashwin smiled at the duo unaware the kind of emotional stress they underwent yesterday and how one hug and smile is washing away all their turmoil already.

"Poitu varom, uncle."

(Bye, uncle)

Shivangi's father nodded his head, but after a thought he added. "Dinner ku ingaye vaa pa." He said. "Naanga rendu per mattum dan irukom. Neeyum vanda nalla irukum."

(Join us for dinner. It is just two of us(

Shivangi walked with Ashwin to his car. She held his arms slowing his steps and asked, "Appa enna sonnaru?"

(What did my dad say?)

"Onnum illa"

(Nothing)

"Enna peseetu irundeenga?"

(What were you talking about?)

They reached his car and Ashwin opened the door for her.

"Summa" he shrugged

(Nothing)

Shivangi rolled her eyes. Impossible to get a proper answer from him, she realized.

As Ashwin sat in his seat, Shivangi immediately hugged his arm, pulled him closer and kissed his cheeks. "Thank you." She said

Ashwin looked confused. "Thanks edhuku?"

(Why?)

"Summa." Shivangi's turn to shrug