Epilogue V

Epilogue V

Shivin and Sia walked in on their father helping their mother with the pleats of her saree by bending on his knees in front of her.

"Ivlo varsham aagi kooda saree olunga katta terila." Sia commented as she walked past her parents to pick the lipstick that her mother borrowed from her but didn't return.

(You have not learnt to drape a saree in all these years)

"Unga appa dan irukare aprom naan edhuku katta kathukanum?"

(Why should I when your dad can help me?)

Ashwin and Shivin who have long learned never to interfere in the mother daughter banters kept to themselves. While Ashwin was correcting his wife's saree that in spite of stylist's handiwork she managed to ruffle, Shivin took out his ipad to continue the game he has paused.

"Shivin!" Shivangi called her son."Andha ipad inniku full ah toda kudadhu. Game velayanda na unna veetla vittutu poiduvom." She warned

(Shivin! Keep aside your ipad. If you want to play games, stay home. Don't come with us)

"Amma, just one game."

Shivangi glared at her husband who stood on his feet after his work was done. She signalled him to lecture their son for which Ashwin just shrugged. How ironic if he tells his son not to play games?

The reprimand however came from another source. "Apdiye unga appa maari pannadha."

(You take after your father)

Shivin raised his head to see his paternal grandmother walk inside the room with a frown.

"Paati, oru game dan. Neenga ellam innum ready aagala dana. Naan velayandukaren."

(Grandma, just one game. Let me play till all of you are ready.)

The old woman rolled her eyes at her grandson before turning to her son with a frown. "Ipdi dan nee-um enn kitta solluva. Pawam nu naanum vitruven. Aprom paatha...." She whacked Ashwin's hand." TV, youtube nu ella interview la-um enga amma veetla pooti vechu vazhatanga, game addict aakeetanga nu ennaye complain panna."

(This is what you used to say to me. I will let you do your thing out of pity. You went ahead and complained in all your interviews that I curbed your freedom and addicted you to video games.)

"Apdi sollunga athai." Shivangi chirped in. "Anniku interview la naan romba avar time demand panren nu sonnaru. Naan eppavachu apdi ketrukana? Evlo understanding wife naanu?"

(You are right. He even claimed in last interview that I demand time from him while on contrary I am a very understanding wife)

"Amma, samandam illama palasu pesitu." Ashwin pretended to be annoyed so he escapes his wife and mother ganging up against him.

(Mom, don't dig from past)

Knowing his son is the only chance at escape, Ashwin grabbed his son's ipad.

"Appa!!" Shivin whined

(Dad!)

"Poi mama ku phone panni ellarum kelambeetangala kelu. Apdiye driver uncle ah car ready panna sollu."

(Check with your uncle if he has started from home. Get driver to start the car)

Shivin with a pout that very much resembled his mother's, left the room.

When Ashwin, Shivangi and family reached the venue, Ashwin didn't immediately get down from the car. He took deep breaths as he saw his dream that has taken life in front of his eyes.