18

¤ Rest ¤

Monday, 2:43pm

Everything had been taken care of and my house was almost back to normal, but it didn't feel normal. I stood in between the living room and kitchen, scanning the room. Everything felt off and I didn't feel like I belonged there anymore. An even bigger problem was that I didn't feel safe there now. I was afraid that Gavin would come back at any moment although I've had the locks changed. If he figured out he can't get in anymore, he could come after me at work and hurt me when no one's looking. I knew it's irrational, but it's still very much feasible.

I found myself instinctively moving closer to Blake. Funny how I only met him a week or two before, but his presence felt safe.

"Are you okay?" He asked, noticing me by his side.

I nodded, "yeah, I'm fine."

He smiled. Then, he suggested, "do you want to go out for lunch?"

I agreed, happy to get out of here. I hadn't been sure of what to do next for the last few minutes so I was glad I had gotten yet another distraction from doing nothing.

Adam and Christina came by for lunch. They led us to a quaint restaurant on the other side of the suburbs. There's not many people inside and thankfully we got a table near the back. Christina pulled me into the booth beside her before I could decide who to sit next to. Adam took our orders for us and went up to get them while Blake went off to take a phone call. The only other one left took this chance to pry.

"What's going on with you two? Seriously."

I raised an eyebrow, "with who?"

She wore an unimpressed look, "you know who I mean. Didn't you only just meet?"

I rummaged through my purse for my phone to check the time. "Yeah,"

"You two already seem so close. It's like you've been friends for years and now you're tired of hiding your feelings for each other."

I never did get the time as she'd dropped the bomb on me. I gulped, being reminded of when I first confessed my feelings. Our relationship was way too premature to do that. It had me thinking I was just feeling lonely, empty without anyone, but these feelings hadn't gone away. It was every day and every hour. Sometimes it was too much.

"Do you think he has feelings for me?" I took a different approach to this.

Without hesitation, she answered, "from what I've seen at the lunch gathering last week and today so far, I think he does."

I sucked in a breath.

"I can see that you definitely do. How are you holding up with that?" She turned her body towards me more, giving her full attention to me.

I looked away as I gathered my response. "I already kind of told him not too long ago. Nothing happened because- well, it had only been a few days of seeing each other in person. I really do like him. This can't be an infatuation and nothing else 'cause it's all the time."

Christina grabbed my hand, giving it a supportive squeeze. "I still think you should give it time. That's not because of your feelings, but because you only just got out of a shitty situation. You need a rest, hon."

I did need a rest.

She continued on after I didn't speak for a moment. "How about Blake's daughter? She seems to really like you."

I smiled at the mention of August, "yeah, I'm surprised by how much she trusts me and wants to be with me."

She nodded, taking a moment before adding, "It surprised me how she wanted you and not Adam or Behati when all that went down at the lunch last week."