9

¤ Uphill, downhill, uphill, and down again ¤

11:30am, Monday

"Daddy, is that her?" I heard a young girl's voice ask as I headed over to the park in a quieter part of LA. I had gotten a drive over from my driver since the doctor had advised me not to drive for the next few days while I recovered. My concussion might have been mild, but I still had to be careful for the next week. My manager wasn't happy, but he had to listen to what my doctor had to say.

"Yeah, that's her!" Blake said excitedly as I got closer. I waved and they both waved back from the picnic bench they were say at. I proceeded to sit down across from them, a smile etched on my face.

"Hey! And I should know who this adorable girl is." I said, smiling at Blake's daughter.

"I'm Augustine, but you can call me August or Gus like my papa does." The nine year old introduced herself proudly. I laughed.

"I remember you telling me that last week when we all watched that movie together." I told her. She nodded and smiled.

"And you're Gwen!" She exclaimed, "You're very pretty."

I grinned at her compliment. Blake was the last one to call me beautiful and before that, it had been quite a while since I had heard that. Hearing it from his daughter made my heart warm.

"Thank you, sweetheart. You too are very pretty." I said. The brunette girl giggled with a smile.

I turned back to Blake when he spoke up, a smile also present on his face.

"How are you feeling today?" He asked.

I shrugged, "A lot better, still a bit of a headache on and off."

"I'm glad you're feeling better. You look a lot better than you did when we first met." Blake smiled. I chuckled, knowing he was right. I was a mess that day

August then decided to chime in, "Why did you faint, Gwen?"

"Gus, that's not really a question you ask people." Blake tried to correct his daughter, still using his gentle and caring voice. I loved that about him, he never seemed to jump to conclusions fast and would stay calm.

"It's okay, I don't mind." I giggled, turning to the young girl, "I wasn't looking after myself, honey. I was dehydrated and didn't eat enough beforehand."

I swallowed the lump in my throat. I knew that wasn't the full truth and I could only assume Blake knew that as well as he eyed me from across the table. But I wasn't about to go into that detail with his daughter. She didn't need to know all that was going on with me behind the scenes. She was still so young and innocent.

"Oh. Are you okay now?" She asked tentatively.

I nodded, "I'm doing okay now."

She smiled, "That makes me happy because I like you. I want you to stick around more."

I smiled back, feeling my heart flutter at her comment.

"If that's what you want, honey," I glanced over at Blake only to see him smiling my direction, "then will do."

August grinned, "Thank you, Gwen!"