chapter ten

"Hi Mom" Sara smiled at her mom who was holding a newspaper receiving a call.  she signaled Sara to come closer.
"is everything okay mom.?" she said looking around.
"oh dear," Linda gasped, her face as white as a Chinese plate. she hung up and stared at Sara.
"what's wrong mom? where's dad? and Josh?"
"Josh called just now. he said he had an emergency and he'll be back really late. one of his friends had an accident and was rushed to the hospital".
"his friend? "Sara asked."did you know..?"
"When I asked him whom it was, he said his name was Max."
Sara's heartfelt like shattering into pieces." an accident?...how?"
"he was going home from work, so he got hit by a truck"
"where's the hospital located?"Sarah grabbed her bag, turning to go.
Linda frowned"oh no Sara don't tell me you're going there."
"yes, I am."
"what will your dad say?"
"he'll say". She took her spare room keys." I could make my own decisions"
"decisions differ dear," Linda said stiffly." and it doesn't pay for the kind of man you end up with"
"I wasn't planning to marry him."Sara replied."I just want to check on him".
***************************************

Sara saw her brother sitting beside Max when she entered the emergency room.
her heart fluttered when she saw him sitting up and looking exhausted. marks and cut lined up on his handsome features.
he looked as if he'd been running for miles.his hair scattered and disorganized. his face so pale and white.
he didn't see her at first, but when Joshua turned, he did.
her brother left the room quietly.
"Sara.."
his hazel eyes have lost their usual sparkle.his childish grin is gone.
"I'm sorry," he said and began standing up.
Sara ran to him and held him down to sit back on the bed.
"I. I just wanted to know if you were alright"
"Sara..about what happened between.."
"no..don't talk about it now" she interrupted staring at his lips." this isn't the right time to, we already talked about it"
she stared at him holding his hands closer to her heart for some minutes.
"I hope you'll get well soon Max" she then said and stood up ."see you around"   she turned to go, but Max grabbed her hands.
"Sara please..I.I can't do without you. please don't leave me now.."
"Please.."Sara begged in return."let's stay this way ok? she bit her lips regret. this is too much for him to accept right now.
Sara couldn't control her emotions anymore. she freed herself, but Max grabbed her and they both fell on the soft rug.
"Oh. max! I'm so sorry..are you hurt?"
she struggled to lift him but max pinned her to the ground and stared at her face.
"Max. I think we should get up now..the doctor would be here to check up on you anytime soon"
"NO"
"But.. but what would the doctors say?" Sara said looking around.
"that you're mine"
he said and kissed her. his kiss was slow and demanding. tucking her hair beside her ear and kissing her more.   Sarah kissed him back and felt tears rolling down her cheeks. max kissed her tears and smiled.
"Sara..you make me crazy," he said trailing her cheeks with his fingers.
Sara stared back at him. she felt like staying in his arms forever.
"what about tiff?"Sara said with jealousy. she struggled to stand, but max pinned her down.
"you've wanted to kiss me this whole time?".
"don't change the subject"
"I don't feel anything for her Sara. I told you that earlier. the last argument we had made this happen to me..let me say..it was your fault"
"I'm sorry"
"if you want to earn my forgiveness.. it'll only be on one condition"
"what!"
"you and I would start courting as soon as possible"
"what?"
"if you want my forgiveness..you should be able to do that," Max said and winked.
"Please help me up. otherwise, I may change my mind and tell you to make love to me to earn it" he said again.
Blushing, Sara lifted him quickly off the floor.