chapter eighteen

Max wore his dark blue suit, his hair neatly trimmed. he was careful. he wanted to look very neat and composed.
he has never met his father's brother before, all he learned was that his parents died in a car accident when he was seven, he was then adopted by his father's friend who didn't know whether any of his family members existed.
"hey man" Stephen black, his pal said smacking Max on his back." going out this evening?"
Max smiled. he liked the guy. he had saved his ass some few months back when he had a controversy with fellow staff.
" sure..hi Steve"
" Mr. Turner wants you to finish this document" Steve stretched out a brown paper to him.
" please Steve... could you please let him know I can't?... I have an urgent appointment" he replied opening the exit door.
Steve laughed." this is our boss man..he asked me to tell you to finish this before he's back."
" he's not in the office?"
" nope. guess I saw him with miss Sara some few hours ago. he said they wouldn't be back until dawn."
Max closed his eyes in anger. went out with her again?
" is something wrong Mr. Whittaker?"
"well..no," Max said and smiled." please excuse me" .he said and went away.
" but Mr. Whittaker..."
***********************

Max stared at the man before him. he had white hair. a straight oval face and that was covered with wrinkles. Max noticed a similarity.
The old man beamed." like what you're seeing? I know you have thousands of questions to ask me, but I'd like to answer them one at a time. you see,.....when I and your father were teenagers, We were often called twins because we looked so much like each other..." he chuckled and continued." so we found it so amusing..you know what we did?...we dressed the same way, laughed the same way, and talked the same way!"
Max sighed and stared at him.
" you must be curious right now..the fact that I didn't contact you after your father died?"
" I was about to ask that," Max said sternly and glanced at his wristwatch. if this man has nothing to say he has to kick him off. better to be glued all day with Mr. Fred Turner than to listen to this shit."
" after your parents died in a car accident,.....I was told by the police that they were was seven-year-old clothes in your parent's car that day with blood on it. but your body wasn't there...so I thought....you were gone."
" But why weren't you curious that my parent's body was found and not mine?"
Max gritted his teeth in anger. being alone for years was the worst occurrence he's ever had.
"because your parent's body was a closed casket...I was ... told not to see them at all..so I thought....you disappeared during the incident."
Max sighed. thanks to Mr and Mrs berry who took care of him.
" I'm so sorry Max..for... being alone..."
" so how did you know where I work? have you been stalking me as well?"
" well...I am the rightful owner of Oxford company".he said and sipped his wine.
Max grimaced in confusion." what..do you mean".?
" you see... years back, I had a disease..and so I wanted to resign and rest. so made my friend's son "Fred" a manager...so previously, I asked him about those working in the company, that was how I saw your name and figured out it was you."Romeo Whittaker said sadly.".and then I was happy and sad at the same time"
" what do you mean Happy and sad?"
"I was happy I found you finally after years of torturing myself that I should have allowed myself to get close to you when your parents were alive. I was sad because I regretted not knowing you were alive and well."
"so where are you presently living now?"
" Los Angeles, California."
"with your family?"
" yes. max...I'm also so sorry for what happened"
" it's okay.." Max sighed." at Least. I know I have a family now"
"I wasn't impressed with the way Fred deals with the company"
" Pardon?"
"I was told by one of the personnel that he's not at the office presently yes?"
" yes..you're right" Max replied trying to hide his smiles. so the bastard was deceiving them all along.
" so. I want you to be the new holder of the company"
max gasped.
" so...what do you say"?
"But..why me?" Max stammered.
" because it's payback time. It's time for me to pay back all I haven't done for you for years. I'm going to sign off every right I have on the company. everything will be yours."
" I. I don't know what to say, sire.."
" you may call me father".Romeo said and smiled." besides...sire" makes me feel too old." he laughs
" yes, father" Max smiled.

"