chapter nine

"That girl is damn hot," Ben Lakewood, Max's best friend said grinning at Max who was typing something on his laptop one morning.
"Max shook his head in disapproval," you called that hot?.. I call that fish face"
"don't..it isn't fair."Ben rolled his eyes" that isn't a way to treat a lady. besides, she was looking cute when she came over"
"hell I don't" Max replied."I don't hate her body, but her personality"
and that was true. Max hated women who focus more on physical appearance than inner ones. he wanted a woman with a beautiful personality..a woman from the baker's.
"like seriously Max, Ben grimaced." she likes you. don't you see that?"
"I don't" Max dropped his pen."I already have someone I love"
"wao.. that Sara girl right?"
"not your business.."
"oooh, man! you have two ladies wrapped on your finger." he smacked Max"I want to be like you when I grow up"
Max punched his arm playfully.
"uch!. that hurts!"Ben grinned.
*******************
Sara opened her office door and stepped out.it was late in the evening. she was both tired and famished. she also needed to see Max.
opening the door to the passageway, she saw the most horrifying scene in her entire life.
there he was as if it was all set up.
Max, the man who claimed to love her, the man who promised not to be in a "peacock category", the man who said sweet things to her was kissing tiff passionately in the corridor. she gasped. her files scattered on the floor.
without looking back at the corridor, she arranged her files and walked away from the scene. her head high.
no man has the power to make her cry. she had enough.
******
Sara saw Max the next day at work. he was talking to a brown-haired postman and glancing at her..but she was determined to avoid him as possible as she could.
when she got back to her office, she saw someone walk in.
"Hi Sara," Max said. his expression was saddened and lost. Sara felt it too.
"what can I help you with Mr. Whittaker?" she asked raising her chin. tears pinched her eyes lids but she blinked it away.
"I missed you, Sara..you were kind of avoiding me lately and.."
"you don't have to" she replied as if disciplining a child."I can take care of myself"
"well. I know..but"
"you have nothing to say to me," She said and stood up."go get worried about the woman you were smooching!"
Max looked shocked. so she knew. she saw him that day he was cornered by that nerd.
"that was all set up Sara it wasn't intentional"
"I'm not even worried about that."
"Sara. I"
"look, now I know you're a double peacock type of guy. so, get away from my life..and do not ruin it anymore than it is..please excuse me," she said and walked away.
Max ran his hand through his hair.