chapter twenty

" How dare you!"Sara screamed and pulled out the gold invitation, showing it to her parents.
" dear what dear?" her mother asked rolling her eyes.
her father frowned and read on the newspaper as if he hadn't heard her.
" marry me off to that man!" Sara exclaimed." I'm..I'm not a slave!"
" no one said you were." her dad finally spoke stretching his legs. "and calm down sweetie. were all adults. not two-year-olds"
Sara sat and glared at them.
" you see Sara..that man has wealth, power,  and everything..if you refuse him...it may affect all of us".
"I'll find another job.."
"But you can't.. remember, when you find another job, they'll ask you for references"
" then I'll do something else". Sara said with pleading eyes
" no!" her dad's voice boomed and Sara winced." I will not allow you to get your head stuck in the clouds. I won't allow any of my kids to make the same mistake my father made. discarding all the opportunity he had.!"
Sara fell on her knees and sobbed. her parents had sold her....and she has to be straight with the man on Monday.

*******************
Sara shoved the invitation card on Turner's chest.it crumpled to the floor.
she didn't knock at all. she was too angry to remember that.
Fred Turner glared at her.
" is something wrong miss baker?" he spat standing up from his office chair." have you forgotten your manners?"
" you?" Sara pointed her finger at him." you did this!..how could you?! how could you force me against my will!"
Fred walked towards her slowly, "like a lion baiting his prey.
" I ensure you darling... that you don't know what you've gotten yourself into."
" I don't know what you're talking about.." Sara said and frowned.
Fred laughed." really? you didn't know that I had a deal with your parents?....oh no you aren't as clever as I thought you were."."
"what deal you liar!"
" a deal that gave you no choice".
" I have free will! I'm human!"
" Then return the huge amount of money I sent to your parents..you can ask them how much it is. they will gladly tell you".
Sara sighed. she knew this was coming.
" so what do you say darling?" he said smirking." want me to make your family's life miserable?"
" I'll reprimand you in court!" Sara threatened.  she couldn't back down now.
"then fine." he shrugged." you are the dummy here sweetie. one, you'll get fired, two, I'll drain your family till they have nothing left..are you ready to take that road?"
Sara's body shook with dread. why is this happening? why is this happening to her family?.
she swallowed the lump in her throat and glared at Mr. Turner." fine. I'll marry you."
he smiled in acknowledgment.
***********************

Three weeks later

Max Whittaker was typing something on his computer in his office when his phone rang.
" hello"
" Hello, Mr. Whittaker..this is Maggie from the highland hospital. your wife is in labor"
Max groaned." thanks.  please..I'll be there soon"
he took his phone and his car keys left a message to ben and went out. he needed to get to the hospital before Tiffany starts biting everyone's head off.
*********

" you're Mr. Whittaker?" a blond nurse asked him walking towards him." please come this way".
Max followed her through the hall.  she opened
the door to a room.
" congratulations" Max heard someone say as he stepped into the room.
he saw tiffany laying on the bed and cuddling her young one.  her eyes were dull and her face was red.
she sniffed when she saw him.
" Max.." she said " our baby girl"...
Max went towards her. now isn't the best time to argue.  he thought as he took the baby from her arms and smiled. damn. the baby has a unique hair color, deep brown.  not his.
" she's beautiful.."  Max said and smiled.
" yes..just like you..her father..."
" not me Tiffany.." Max Interrupted and turned to her." why me?" he almost said that with a pleading look. and besides. there isn't any proof that I slept with you that night!"
" of course there was!"
" Tiffany...we all knew you were doing all you could to destroy my relationship with Sara..you were jealous of the start!"
" she was ! not me!"Tiffany screamed.
" you were a slut Tiffany, sleeping with men around the place..you probably got this as a result of what you did."
" I don't care what you say!..the baby belongs to you!"
"It belongs to me" Max heard someone say and when he turned to see who it was, his eyes almost rolled to the back of his head.
************