Chapter 4

Jana's POV

The first day of school was officially over. Josie, Chris, and I had decided to get coffee at the Starbucks up the road. 

Chris ordered our coffees and brought it to Josie and I at the table. "So how do you like 12th grade?" Chris asked us, putting his arm around Josie.

"It seems fun! I can't wait for volleyball to start!" Josie announced, clapping her hands. She had played volleyball since sixth grade and has always been amazing at it. She made varsity in ninth grade and was a star even on a team with girls three years older than her. Her towering height probably helped with this though. She stood at least 5'9". 

"What about you, Jana?" Chris asked, smiling at me. 

"It seems busy. And hard. And intimidating."

"Woah, Jan, did you have a bad day?" Chris responded. "I saw you hitting it off with that Hayes guy in math," he added, smirking. 

"You've been hanging out with a CELEBRITY?" Josie asked, gasping. 

"No, no, no, I wasn't 'hitting it off' with Hunter. We were just assigned to sit next to each other in math, that's all," I lied. I decided to leave out the details that included the leg touches, the bullying, the walking to class, the music, and the hand holding. So much strange stuff had happened between us in one day. 

"You have to sit next to Hunter Hayes?! Maybe you can find some stuff out about who he really is, then," Josie said excitedly. I laughed and shook my head.

"Jan, I think we're gonna go see a movie. Wanna come with us?" Chris asked, changing the subject.

"I'm good. I think I'm gonna stay here for a little while," I responded. There was no way I was going to tag along to their movie date. "Have fun!" I added. 

"You sure?" I nodded. "Alright, see ya tomorrow," Chris said. 

"Bye Jan!" Josie said. 

"Bye guys." I pulled out my laptop from my computer as soon as I saw the two walk out the door. 

I signed into my computer and loaded the Internet. I typed "Hunter Hayes" into the search bar. Tons of links popped up containing information about him.

The first thing I noticed was titled "Hunter Hayes: A Child Prodigy". I clicked on it and it took me to a website with picture and videos of a little boy that looked a lot like the Hunter Hayes I met today.

He had four albums. The most current one, "Songs About Nothing", contained a cover picture that looked exactly how Hunter looked now. He had performed with Hank Williams Jr. at the age of four and had performed at the White House, for the president!

I was still a bit puzzled about who Hunter Hayes really was, but I knew for sure he was a childhood star. But why did he suddenly move to Nashville? Why did he seem to take things out on himself? What was his secret?