Chapter 1

At the same time, over at Karina's hometown, at a university.

  A boy at the age of 17 was walking at a corridor which lines the literature halls, with his phone in his hand, staring at a picture that reminded him of his past as a child before the change 2 years ago. At this moment, his phone was suddenly snatched by a familiar face.

  "Dude, you should really not look at your phone while walking, man." His friend spoke.

  "Can I at least have my phone back? Come on that phone is important to me." He asked in the most friendly manner despite being a guy.

  "Alright, but we are late to meet up with the others. If I were to give this back to you now, you would still probably look at your phone. So... run after me to get Daniel!" His friend spoke as he dashed off leaving Daniel behind, Daniel could only sigh as he knows his friend is the fastest of the 6 in the group, but knowing his phone is with his friend he chased after him.

  "Ray... what took you so long? And is that Daniel's phone you got?" Ray didn't answer. Instead, he stopped and looked behind to see Daniel running in their direction. Daniel ran over despite the long distance, he doesn't seem tired at all. Ray handed Daniel his phone, but in doing so, he accidentally peeked on the photo he was looking at.

  "It was my childhood if you were about to ask. I was with an old friend. We've lost touches for a decade already." Daniel said as if he knew what Ray was about to say, which he did.

  The other 4 friends were also curious about what he was looking at, in which Daniel took his phone back from Ray and rotated it from portrait to landscape view and facing the screen to them. They all looked at one another as they had never seen the other person beside him.

  One of the 4 spoke up and asked, "About the girl beside you, who is she? You didn't say anything about her. may we know why?"

  "Oh her... the childhood friend I briefly mentioned." As he spoke, a small smile lifted from his face, as he remembered the time both of them spent together even if it is only for 7 years.

  "Anyway, we shouldn't be blocking the way we should get going now." Daniel changed the subject to prevent his friends from diving deeper into his life, as he would rather forget it for her sake.

Time skip to late night.

  But whilst walking, there was the one friend who had so many questions to ask Daniel and gave in to his curiosity. "Why didn't you mention her Daniel?"

  "Lucian...!" The other 4 spoke in annoyance apart from Daniel.

  "Sorry, I just got curious. But judging by this, you don't want to mention her for other reasons, right?" Lucian asked, curious to learn more. From the 6 of them, Daniel was the one who held the most secrets on his life and rather concealed it, then exposed it.

  But unfortunately, the looks on the others turned to curiosity as they never heard much about Daniel's past. In the end, Daniel sighed in defeat as he couldn't battle a 1 vs. 5 battle. At the same time, it was quite late at night, so not many people were on the streets.

  "Let's start with her name... she's Karina, an old friend of mine, but I previously mentioned we haven't seen each other for a decade already, so I have doubts that she remembers me. Plus, she didn't say goodbye to me before leaving to some abroad school when we were just 7. But for some reason, I also seem to look back at the old days, hoping that it doesn't change."

  As Daniel spoke his heart out, his pupils changed from a regular oval shape to hearts instead, his friends noticed this and realized why he didn't mention it, it was to avoid loving his friend but they were uncertain why.

  "Of course, there was one thing that concerns me, so that's why I didn't mention it. She is a human." When he said the answer was given to why he didn't want to love his friend, it was to avoid harming her if she knew. His friends eye at each other as if they want to know if they are thinking the same thing.

  "So you love her, huh Daniel." One friend spoke, breaking the odd silence.

  "Of course I like her she's my... wait, love? Why 'love' Nathan?" Daniel was caught off guard as he didn't understand why his friend used like but love.

  "It's obvious Daniel that you like her romantically. Just look at your eyes." Ray said, holding his phone up in the camera app, showing Daniel his heart-shaped pupils. This thought has never crossed his mind before, him... falling for his friend, who he has never met for a decade, or did that thought cross his mind just that he doesn't want to think about it.

  "I... no, that can't be... I just won't accept this thinking." Daniel spoke in retaliation to this thought, but his voice betrayed him, clearly sounding sad that he had to think like this.

  "I just want to keep her safe from me... to let her see this change... she won't take it. I know she will fear me... I won't take any risk. She's a human. I'm a demon and incubus, to be exact... with what is happening to me now... I am bound to lose her... to make her hate... no. Fear me." Daniel knew his voice betrayed him, thus speaking the truth much to his dislike.

  "You know that in the end it is unavoidable, your friend could come back anytime... next year, next month, next week or even tomorrow. And you eventually have to admit the truth for yours and her sake. But in the end the decision is yours to make... no one is stopping you. Anyway it is already quite late so let's call it a day. Bye, Daniel." After Ray spoke, trying to convince Daniel about his conflicting feelings...

  "Gah!..." Daniel growled in pain, which was followed by heavy breathing. The others turned back and knew what was going on and searched for his medication. Once found, Daniel took it and shook out 6 pills from the container.

  "Gah!... ha... *gulp*... ha... ho... he... thank you, guys." The group were a little shocked as the amount of pills he took were not normal, but it worked despite the overdose, the group knows about Daniel's condition as it is well known that Incubus and Succubus kind a like are not suppose to have this effect but those who has it means one thing which is obvious, the kinds alike needs to get "intimate" with an opposite gender.

  After the little event, the guys parted ways, and Daniel headed to an apartment block, which was a few blocks away from the school. Getting on the elevator and pressing on the 18th floor. After arriving on the 18th floor, Daniel noticed the 'Zephyr boxes' moving company, realizing he would have a neighbour at last. But as much as he would like to know who his new neighbour is, he couldn't bother to as he will just slow down the staff's work. So he walked to his door to lay on his bed and surrendered to his tiredness.

  With little did Daniel know his new neighbour is, in fact, his old friend Karina...