Chapter 27

As Karina left the room Daniel heard her heart beating strangely. He left the room to follow Karina, leaving Maribel behind and confused.

  "Hey, Kari- ump!?" Karina covered his mouth. She put a finger over her lip, implying he shouldn't say her name.

  "Sorry about that, but what are you doing now?" Daniel questioned after she lifted her hand from his mouth and walked on again.

  Karina didn't answer him instead she walked to a door, opened it, she gestured to Daniel to see the horrors. Daniel hesitated but swallowed his nervousness and walked to the opened door.

  "What... this is insane. What the hell did he do to these people?" Daniel couldn't believe what he saw. In the room he was looking in, he could sense the souls of the poor victims all of whom were men.

  "These victims are still alive in a sense, their bodies specifically are placed in a comatose-like state. But their souls are detached from their main body. You are going to help me out with this one, in the magic department." Karina explains the possibility of saving the victims.

  "Alright, there is a reason you asked me. So I'll help. What did you need me to do?" Daniel preps himself up.

  "I'll use 'Soul guidance'. You need to use the 'Soul bind' spell to make this work." Karina briefed him on the general plan. As if it is pretty obvious what needs to be done. But Daniel catches on with the general idea.

  "I'll need some time to chant the spell. This spell is not something I can just do with ease. I may be a demon but my proficiency with magic is horrible." Daniel rolled up his sleeves and walked in front of Karina and took on a stable stance to chant. Karina placed her hand on her chin in thought.

  Daniel thought about the spell circle in his head. Karina felt the atmosphere change, there was a sudden gust of wind, indoors.

  "What oh come on give me a heads up first!?!?" Daniel heard an outburst from Karina, opening his eyes again, and turning to Karina, to which she took a defensive stance.

  "I have yet to chant the spell. But what happened? Your hair is also in a mess, it's not like a hurricane came in." Daniel commented on Karina's hair, which she pouts. But composed herself again.

  "You technically did as evident from my hair Daniel. You must have not realized it." Karina commented but Daniel was not convinced but someone else came in.

  "Yeah, the whole atmosphere changed so suddenly. Also, you did just nearly cast a spell without the chant." The person in question is one of Karina's comrades, whom he placed his arm on her head, the height difference wasn't too big but he likes to treat anyone that is slightly shorter than himself as an armrest.

  Daniel blinked his eyes a few times in shock, despite being a demon his proficiency in magic is just really really horrible.

  "Alright, maybe you shouldn't attempt it again. You should stand aside for now, I'll take it from here. Or would you want to blow this whole mansion again?" The comrade points out. Despite his eyes also being covered, the aura makes it obvious that the comrade in question is one of Karina's brothers.

  "What, wait a minute, why did you ask me to conduct the spell in the first place?" Daniel felt dejected as if he felt defeat.

  "In the first place, it is a 2-person spell so any 2-person can cast it. So that's why I asked you to help me out, but if this is going to be the outcome I think we would like to keep the mansion intact." Karina corrects herself. Daniel dropped his head feeling depressed.

  Daniel ended up squatting down giving a pouting expression. Karina approached the dejected Daniel squatting and gave a few pats on his back in comfort. She even raffled his hair for a bit.

  "We don't have much time, alright let's get the spell started." Her brother cuts in.

  He steps forward and extends a hand in front of him, palms wide, fingers spread apart and a magic circle appears under his feet.

  Karina stood up straight and followed suit, and a magic circle appeared at the bottom. The circles gave a warm luminescent glow of white. Daniel could feel the air changing, his hair was in the air as if blown by a gentle breeze.

  The jars in the room were all simultaneously shattered as if finally free from their prison. The souls locked in those jars were finally free from the detachment of their transparent prison. All of the souls collectively said one phrase.

"Thank you for helping us all."

  The souls passed through the walls and returned to their bodies. The soft, gentle breeze that Daniel felt ceased. But the warm feeling has yet to fade away.

  The circle fades and the casting pair places down their hands, moving after being in one motionless posture for a while.

  "Alright, aren't you forgetting something? Looking at time? Anything clicking?" Karina's brother turned to Karina and bombarded a lot of questions. Again Daniel couldn't tell their facial expressions, but with Karina's hand on her chin, she must be thinking, really hard.

  "You got caught up in a lot of things huh there? The ceremony is coming up." Karina's brother relents and points out what she had forgotten. Karina looked up so suddenly.

  "Argh!! I can't believe I forgot about that. Wait what time is it? Oh wait I think is around the evening right now. Ahhhh!!! I need to go, ahhhhh!!!" Karina panicked and was about to leave, but was suddenly grabbed by Daniel, Karina turned and looked at Daniel's hand on her wrist then looked up to meet Daniel's eyes.

  "You are leaving already?"