i

Isabella Diaz woke with a smile on her face, something she often did lately

Isabella Diaz woke with a smile on her face, something she often did lately. Isabella has been teased for being too smiley and too positive but it never really made sense to Isabella because how can someone be too positive? Letting the thoughts of her old school slide through her brain she turned towards the window and opened it letting the light into her room. In the 2 years that they've been in Hawkins, Isabella has finally made her room feel like home. It was important to her that even though she has never been to Puerto Rico besides when she was a baby that she had some Puerto Rican influence in her room, the two friends that she does have said that they loved her room and that it felt like a tropical paradise which was good enough for Isabella.

Isabella slipped on her slippers and rubbed her eyes as she walked out into the kitchen, today was her first day at her new job. Scoops Ahoy, she had begged both of her parents to get a job and they finally agreed hesitantly. "Buenos días cariño, ¿cómo dormiste anoche?" Her Dad, Marino Diaz said as he saw her walking into the kitchen. "Dormí bien, papá, ¿Qué hay para desayunar?" Isabella replied as she walked closer towards Marino and kissed him on the cheek. "Ah, pancakes, as much as your mother is smart she cannot cook," Marino said the last part in a faux whisper but Lidia heard it from the table and Isabella saw her Mom roll her eyes.

Isabella walked towards Lidia and kissed her on the cheek before sitting beside her at the table. "Hola mamá, ¿Estas lista para trabajar?" Isabella reached towards the newspaper and only grabbed it when Lidia nodded, Lidia worked as a nurse at the Hawkins Memorial Hospital. Lidia always said it was demanding work and it could be demeaning but someone had to do it. "I might be late and go on an empty stomach if your father doesn't get the food finished." Lidia teased making Isabella shake her head in fondness. "Well, you try working with one eye," Marino says as he carries a plate of pancakes and places them in the middle of the table. "You're doing great Dad." Isabella smiles as she grabs a pancake with the tongs that Marino placed beside them. "Mira a alguien que me ama Lidia." Marino says winking at Isabella who shakes her head at her Dad.

"Stop being mean, now honey. Today is your first day working at Scoops Ahoy right?" Lidia turns the focus towards Isabella which makes her shift a little in discomfort. "Yea, Micah is borrowing his Dad's car and he's going to drive me. That's alright right?" Isabella looked in between her parents nervously. "That's funny honey, just as long as you have your pepper spray." Lidia looked at Isabella seriously who nodded, barely resisting the urge to roll her eyes, if she did she would get a talking to and Lidia didn't have time to do that neither did Marino who worked at a local contracting company in Hawkins. "Claro que lo tengo conmigo mamá, nunca salgo de la casa sin el." Isabella takes a bite of pancake that was slathered in syrup and whipped cream. Isabella saw Marino make a face of disgust but Isabella choose to ignore it.

"Does Mr. Carrillo know that Micah is taking his car?" Marino asks with a raised eyebrow, Isabella sighs and lets her fork clank on the plate. "Yes, he does Dad but Micah is gay so he wouldn't do anything." Isabella has had this conversation with Marino before but he always says the same thing. "I know, it has nothing to do with that. I just want Mr. Carrillo to know god forbid anything happens to you two." Isabella knows that's it's been hard on her parents.

They came at a terrible time, they moved to Hawkins right when a little boy named Will Byers went missing. He was found thank god but it has shaken Lidia and Marino to the core ever since. "I know Daddy, but nothing will happen. Jude has made Micah take self-defense lessons and I got my pepper spray." Isabella grins as she stands up and takes her plate to the sink, she doesn't empty the half-eaten plate because according to Marino she does it wrong so she just leaves the emptying to Marino and does the dishes when she gets home. "We're just trying to keep you safe, I hope you understand that." Lidia silently pleads to Isabella who walks over towards her Mom and hugs her tightly. "Of course I do, I wouldn't have it any other way."

Isabella gives a short hug to Marino knowing that he would still be here after she finished getting dressed, so she walked towards her room and walked towards her giant fish tank. "Hola Myrna and Aloja." Isabella greeted the fish as she walked towards the food and grabbed a pinch full sprinkling it in the tank and watches as they race to get a bite. Isabella smiles, she walks towards her closet and reaches into the back which is where she put the uniform so it wouldn't get messed up and she wouldn't keep seeing it and wanting to try it on busy she couldn't wait for this day.

She smoothes that shorts down over her legs before putting the shirt and vest on, she grins as she walks towards the mirror and checks herself out. Who knows, she might meet a pretty girl or guy while she's working Isabella thinks to herself making her let out a tiny chuckle. Isabella never hid and despite her parents being wary of Isabella being open in a small town she was determined to, she had patches on her backpack that she took to school that had many rainbows and quotes about being bisexual. She didn't let the bullying get her down, it helped that she found out a teacher was also gay, so Isabella felt like she had someone in her corner.

"Come on! Micah is here!" Isabella was broken out of her thoughts by Marino shouting through the house, Isabella grinned one last time in the mirror before slipping on her shoes before shouting back. "I'm coming!"

 "I'm coming!"

NOTES:

Just wanna put a little disclaimer, I am not a native Spanish speaker nor can I speak Spanish so I used the site reverso to translate if they are not correct please let me know and I will change it.

Buenos días cariño, ¿cómo dormiste? - Good morning sweetie, how did you sleep?
He dormido bien, papá, ¿qué hay para desayunar? - I slept well, Dad, what's for breakfast?
Hola mamá, ¿lista para trabajar? - Hey, Mom, you ready to get to work?
Mira a alguien que me ama Lidia - Look someone who loves me Lidia
Claro que lo tengo conmigo mamá, nunca salgo de casa sin ella. - Of course I have it with me Mom, I never leave home without it.