"WAY BACK THEN"

- Conner

Way back then I was on top of the world. I have no idea how it feels now.

Joining Phoenix was my best option. I had to escape them. Those enemies. Halcyon wants my blood for a huge misunderstanding.

They never took the chance to listen to what I had to say.

I completely lost it. what else could I do? I couldn't do anything else but retaliate.

Point is they never even wanted me there. I was a tool.

"Wait, sir!"

I turn around and look at the cashier with a raised eyebrow.

"I'm sorry, you forgot your receipt... do you still want it?"

I nod and reach over to take it.

"Thanks, I..."

"Tell me more about the game..."

She grips hard on my arm and looks up from where she is - almost a full foot below me.

"Tell me everything you know about it, please..." she stares right into my soul.

"I-It's run by Phoenix, they're doing a huge competition of some sort, winner gets 6.9 million dollars. I don't know much but there are multiple challenges to find who wins-"

"Where is this game?!"

"Look here, just call the number and do what they tell you. Here, write it do-"

She's already off.

"Thank you come again!"

I think I'll see her there.

I'm walking home, and then I see my friend Buck sitting on a bench looking sad, staring at a brown card just like mine.

Buck is a guy slightly younger than me, he has silver white hair he dyed himself, and always wears reflective sunglasses. Usually he's more lively than this, more chill and relaxed rather than so down in the deep.

"You okay man?" I go over to check on him.

"Bad day."

"Things aren't going too well, I get that... here man, have a bag of Miss Vickie's-"

"This is worse than a bad day. This could be the first day of losing everything I have in this world. A BAG OF MISS VICKIE'S POTATO CHIPS WILL NOT SOLVE THAT!"

"It used to be much less stressful than this... huh..."

"Way back then it wasn't so tough..."

"Look, I've gotta go inside. If I can do anything for you, call me."

"Wait, one more thing."

"Yeah?"

"Leave me the chips."