"HEADHUNTING"

- Conner

Nobody bothered us tonight, and we woke up without a problem. This place is already feeling like home.

However, most of the beds have disappeared since we had 690 people. Now, we're at a devastating 42.

It's very hard to believe. 42? Like, this makes it a point of no return.

Nobody will go home.

"Good morning players. Please go outside to the courtyard from the Relay game a couple days ago."

Going down the stairs this time, it's not raining and there isn't an obstacle course anymore.

"Players, before we start we need everyone to find a partner."

I walk over to Shaun with my hand up waving. He doesn't even look at me.

"Shaun, partners?"

"No, I've already found someone good."

"Okay?..."

Shaun is with someone random... why is this out of the ordinary?

Everyone is going with their friends. It's only fair if I find somebody dependable.

Emilia. I have to.

"Conner! There you are."

"Hey, I was looking for you. Come on, we're gonna pass this challenge together."

We're sitting down and I see David is with... Dodge. That's weird.

Harrison is with Jean, okay...

Gavin is with his wife Kimmy... They both survived the Russian Roulette.

Jarred is alive, too. With one of his henchmen.

Tim is with someone I don't know. I don't know him at all.

The Square Guard starts speaking.

"Players - the fifth game will now begin. This game is called 'Shangais'. You and your partner are given 10 ankle bones each. You need exactly 20 shangais to leave the arena. Your partner will be executed."

Huh? What the fuck?

"The game's rules go like this: You can place a random number of shangais in your hand, as much as you please. All you have to do is guess the number of shangais in your opponent's hand and you will get that amount. Your partner will do the same for you. You may only wager 5 marbles maximum per turn."

This keeps everyone shaking. Quaking in their boots. For some reason, Shaun and David are really calm with this. They're not each other's partners.

"You may not use violence to get shangais from your partner. You have 30 minutes, find a spot and go."

I take our ankle bones, and Emilia and I go to a very, quiet, dank and naked corner.

"Are we doing this?"

"What choice do we have?"

"I don't want either of us getting shot."

"Me neither."

Reluctantly, we play. I put 3 shangais in my palm and hide it from her.

"You go first."

I pause and think. How many would she put in there?

Wait. No. She needs to fall for it. She needs to screw up. This is a whole scheme altogether!

"No, you go first."

"Okay. Um... 3?"

I open my palm and she's surprised.

"H-How?"

"I don't know."

"There's no way. You didn't cheat."

"I didn't."

We play again.

"I'll guess first this time... 2?"

"No. 5."

She takes 2 from me. I'm at 5 and she's at 15.

"I... I can't die like this."

"I can relate."

"This is... this is cruel."

"I know. I don't wanna do this either. Now, how many do you have... 1?... no cap."

I open my hand. It's 1.

"You're cheating..."

"I'm not. I'm trying to see through your facial expressions so I can narrow down how high you're wagering."

"What the fuck, Emilia."

"I thought we were going to play."

"We will. Get your shangais and follow me."

"What are we doing?"

"Headhunting."