"STEAK AND POTATOES"

- Conner

"Players, dinner will be more special than usual. Congratulations."

The guards bring out a triangular-like table. It stretches out pretty far and has fancy flowers and tablecloth.

"This is nice..."

There are enough chairs for all remaining contestants - we lost only 4 people that time.

So there are 17 left.

We all sit down and the guards put a shoebox down in front of us. There is a suit inside with dress shoes - and our number is written on it.

"Please put on the suit you were given - and then sit down at a chair and wait until you are given utensils."

Nobody has said anything yet. We go back to our bunks and change, then go and sit down one by one.

Once everyone's at their chair, the guards bring out steaks, and a knife and fork each.

This is the first time in a while I've had actual food.

Everyone looks at each other suspiciously, but I ignore it and get right to eating.

The beef is rare and tough, but perfect for the occasion. It tastes amazing.

There are a few mashed potatoes on the side, which I go and scoop up happily. They're warm and tasty in my mouth and even better when it slides down my throat.

I've never been so relieved over mashed potatoes.

The grape juice is sweet and sooo satisfyingly chilled. I'd choose this over red wine any day.

Everyone else ignores the irregularity of the situation and digs into their meal.

Still, nobody is saying anything.

Shaun just sips his grape juice and looks at me from across the table.

With that, I decide to break the silence.

"This steak is great. I regret nothing."

I look around and everyone's stopped chewing.

I expect Shaun to blow up on me or something, but it's Gavin who is awoken by that statement.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"...I, uh, like the steak."

"What do you mean by regret nothing?"

Gavin hasn't even touched his food. I'm not sure if it's because he's still grieving or he can't pick up his utensils after almost turning his hand into sashimi.

"I just meant to say-"

"LOOK AT ALL WE'VE LOST. YOU THINK THIS WAS A BIG WIN, HUH? YOU KNOW HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE DIED HERE?"

"I-"

"WE ARE THE REMAINING 17 PEOPLE OUT OF 600 OTHER PEOPLE WHO DIED IN THOSE GAMES. ALL THE REST OF US WILL DIE, TOO. UNTIL ONE OF US HAS THE MOST LUCK, AND GETS TO WALK AWAY WITH THE MONEY."

"Th-"

"YOU WANNA KEEP TALKING BASTARD? YOU BETTER QUIT IT NOW SON."

Instead of apologizing, I hunch back over to eat my food.

It's not worth dying over a argument that started from steak and potatoes.