11

"I'm glad to see that you decided to join us again, Lindsey." The doctor gave him a soft, very encouraging smile as she crossed one leg over the other from the across the room.

She was almost certain that it wasn't very easy to get him back into the office, but she also knew that it was probably best for them.

Shifting uncomfortably, his eyes casually traveled to his wife, who was sitting on the other side of the leather sofa. "Well," he sort of nodded, not exactly certain how to respond. "Yeah," Lindsey knew that sounded sort of stupid, but he also didn't want to lie and say he was happy to be there... Lying seemed like it would have just defeated the whole purpose of the therapy meeting.

Raising a brow, the therapist turned her attention towards Stevie as well, who had been fairly quiet since the moment they'd walked through the door. "How did the practice go, Stevie? Did you enjoy yourself?" She wondered.

"It was good." She kind of shrugged her shoulders as she nodded her head in agreement. "I haven't watched the kids play sports in years, so it was good." She repeated, losing track of the words that would seem more fitting.

Fun... that would be fitting, yet that just didn't seem right to her.

"Crew was super glad that she came." Lindsey piped in as a soft smile trailed across his face.

"He was excited to see you- that is so sweet." Doctor Bonnet was happy to hear that. "Doesn't that make you feel good, Stevie?" She could tell that the other woman was having one of those days- she wasn't as talkative as she normally was.

Pushing some of her loose curls back behind her ear, Stevie nodded lightly. "It did." Her voice was so soft and low, almost like she was being shy.

"Well, that's wonderful." The red head glanced down at her notepad for a second and then she brought her eyes back up to Stevie once more. "It's the first day of November." She announced, suddenly understanding the stiff atmosphere that had surrounded them.

"I hate November." Stevie mumbled, even though that was no secret to any of them.

"Would you like to talk about-"

"Nope." Lindsey cut her off abruptly, not at all in the mood. "If she wants to talk about it, I'll go out to the car." He couldn't do it... he didn't want to.

"We don't have to." Stevie quickly assured as she glanced over at her husband, silently begging him to stay put.

She wanted him to be there with her, very badly.

"Okay, that's perfectly fine." The doctor held up her hand, trying to calm both of them down.

That was a topic of conversation that was just never easy, not in the slightest. Everyone deals with grief in a different way... It's never cookie cutter, not for anyone.

Lindsey would have rather acted like it had never happened, while Stevie had the tendency to dig herself into a deep hole of pure emotion that was just totally suffocating.

And of course, since they both dealt differently, it was really hard to understand the other persons feelings.

Lindsey felt like she had just driven herself mad and Stevie felt like he had just totally forgotten about Allison.

Of course, he could have never, not for as long as he lived, forgotten about their daughter. But they also had three other children that needed good, stable parents and he wasn't going to deprive them of that.

"Should we talk about the steps you've chosen to take to strengthen your marriage?" She was more than willing to change the topic of conversation, even though she was almost one hundred percent certain that talking about Alli would do them a lot of good.