Ch 8- I Can't Find You

“Why would you think I would hate you?” Artemis asked, her arms crossed under her chest, Atherion and Alice standing in front of her.

“People don’t usually take very kindly to orphans,” Atherion replied, unable to meet her gaze.

“And we didn’t want to lose you,” Alice said softly. “You’re the first person who’s ever cared about us in a long time.”

She stared at them for a moment before walking toward them.

Alice and Atherion braced themselves for the goodbye they were all too used to. “Ow!” They looked up with confused faces as they rubbed their foreheads.

“You flicked us,” Atherion said. “What was that for?”

“For thinking there would ever come a time when I would ever hate you,” she replied. They looked at her in shock. “You two are family. No one should ever hate family.” Reiji stared at her back, as if contemplating her words, before looking away. Atherion slowly took a step toward her before wrapping her arms around her tightly. She held her back and looked to Alice with a smile. “Come on, Alice. Family hug!” She held a hand out toward her.

Atherion looked at Alice from the corner of her eye and jumped out of Artemis’ hold. “It’s the end of the world! The flood is near!” She dove behind Shu, who, along with everyone else, looked at her in shock.

Alice stared at Artemis for a moment, her bottom lip trembling as tears welled up in her eyes. Everyone stared at her in surprise as the tears spilled over and she went running toward Artemis. She wrapped her arms tightly around her and held her tightly as she cried.

“My goodness,” she chuckled as she wrapped her arms around Alice. “You cry just like a Studio Ghibli character.”

“I am so in love with you right now,” Atherion smiled as she walked back into her open embrace.

“Yui. Get over here. It is a family hug,” she said as she turned to the short blonde.

“Um… As long as we’re being honest…” Yui said, nervously playing with her fingers. Artemis tilted her head at her. “We’re not really cousins. My father took me in when I was baby. He’s not my real father.”

“Ha! I knew it!” Apolla said as she pointed a finger at Yui.

“No you didn’t,” Ayato and Kanato said together. Apolla glared at them before turning back and crossing her arms over her chest.

She blinked at Yui once before holding a hand out. “Does anyone here listen to me? Family does not have to be by blood.” Yui stared at her in shock before smiling and running in. “Common Apolla. You, too.” Apolla looked at her from the corner of her eye before sighing and joining in.

After a moment, the girls looked over at Laito as he started slowly clapping and chuckling, the chuckling slowly turning into laughter.

“A very cute display of affection, girls,” Subaru said in a bored manner. “Very cute.”

“A question arises now that all the facts have been made clear,” Ayato smiled.

“It was one thing when Atherion and Alice found out about us because we thought they had parents. Parents are bound to notice their children are missing, but now that we know they don’t have any, a question arises,” Kanato chuckled.

“What to do with the two orphans?” Laito tilted his head with a seductive smile. The girls stared at him in question.

“Two orphans going missing would hardly be noticed by the system; they will just think they ran away,” Reiji pointed out.