POTOber Day 17 - He'll Take Me, I Know

day 17 prompts: dread/anticipation/bait

Christine sat backstage, fiddling with a prop apple as she sat backstage and listened to the orchestra warming up and the crowd filling the auditorium. Don Juan Triumphant—the opera confirmed by none other than her angel, the Phantom of the Opera himself—was being performed for the very first time that night and she had been cast as the leading lady. Handpicked by her former tutor, that much she knew for certain.

She hadn't wanted to go through with it at all, but then Raoul had insisted. He had determined that she would be the perfect bait, the best way to draw the Phantom out to finally apprehend him.

She didn't really know what to make of that. Her own fiancé was willing to put her in harm's way, in a situation where her former kidnapper, the man who had lied to her so many times and who had already killed one person and tormented an entire opera house, could so easily swoop in and take her and never let her go again. Didn't Raoul love her enough to want to fight to keep her safe? Wasn't he smart enough to find another way to capture the Phantom without dangling her in front of him as bait to trap him like some kind of wild animal? Why was he so willing to put her in harm's way?

She looked up a moment later when she heard footsteps and found Madame Giry standing a few feet away, a sympathetic look on her face. "It's time, Christine," she said quietly.

Christine's heart leapt into her throat, but she knew she couldn't refuse, not when she didn't have an understudy ready to go and that the Phantom would even allow to perform. So, swallowing her fear and setting down the prop, she got to her feet, her legs shaky, and nodded as she walked towards the ballet instructor.

"Then the opera shall begin," she said, forcing a weak smile as she proceeded to take her place on the stage - to set their trap.