never let go 'till you're gone

handholding prompt #10 - happily doing everything with one hand if it means they don't have to let go 

~

"Baba!"

The sound of his sweet son's voice was enough o make all of the concerns and stresses of the day fade away. Nadir turned to look down the hall and smiled at seeing Reza hurry towards him. Erik stood in the doorway to the sitting room, having been abandoned by the boy but still keeping a watchful eye on him.

"Hello, my darling boy," Nadir replied as he crouched down to catch his child in his arms, vouching to ignore the shaking in Reza's legs. Instead, he cradled the boy's head to his shoulder and held him tight exhaling deeply and feeling tension leave his shoulders.

"I missed you, Baba," his son said softly. "I wish you came home sooner."

"Believe me, I wish that too," Nadir replied with a sigh. "I wish I could stay here all the time."

"Me too," Reza said, and Nadir could feel his lips pull into a smile against his neck.

Nadir smiled and gave the boy a gentle squeeze. "How was your day? You had Erik with you today, hm?"

Reza nodded eagerly. "He was playing the violin! And we played with my music man too, and Erik was teaching me how to play piano!"

The boy's excitement made Nadir smile; any day where he had the energy to be so bubbly was a success. Even still, it wasn't perfect, but then again, it never was anymore. Reza's eager retelling had made his breathing a bit laboured, but Nadir said nothing of it; he simply rubbed his son's back, not wanting to damper his spirits.

"That sounds like a lovely day. I'll have to hear you play what you learned on piano a bit later."

"Okay! Erik has to press the pedals, though, I can't reach them."

"That's alright. I don't think he'll mind," Nadir replied with a glance up at Erik, finding a smile on his friend's face.

"Not at all," Erik said as he set a hand on Reza's head and gently tousled his hair. "But spend some time with your father for now. I'm sure he would like to spend some time with you now."

Nadir couldn't help but sigh and give his friend a grateful smile with his keen eye, Erik could no doubt tell that Nadir was exhausted by the day and needed quiet time with his son. As cold as Erik could be, it would be simply wrong to call him heartless.

"I would love that," Nadir said, his heart warming at the sight of Reza's eager grin. "Why don't you come with me while I get something to eat? We can get you a snack too if you'd like."

"Okay, Baba," Reza said before he looked back at Erik. "Bye."

The masked man scoffed and let out a laugh. "I am dismissed, it seems," he said. "I will be in my room. I won't be busy, so do tell me if you need anything."

"I will, Erik, thank you," Nadir replied as he stood and started towards the kitchen, Reza in tow.

The father-son pair walked hand-in-hand, and that little hand stayed clasped in Nadir's for as much of the evening as he could manage. Reza never protested; he was smart enough to know the guidance was needed as his sight faded more with every passing day. In truth, more than just that was fading; every faculty that he had was slowly deteriorating with his illness that no doctor could explain.

The thought made Nadir's heart clench and he tightened his hold on Reza's hand as the boy stood close to his side while he assembled a small bite to eat for himself, not having wanted to bother Darius with the task. He tried to banish the idea of losing his child at all costs hardly able to swallow the idea. He had already lost his wife, he already felt so alone, how could he possibly lose his child too? How could any loving god allow that? Reza was innocent and kind, smart and so full of love. He couldn't possibly be gone from the world one day, that thought was...inconceivable, unreconciliable, it was—

"Baba?"

With a quick intake of breath, Nadir shook himself out of his melancholy thought process and took a deep breath to steady himself before looking down at his son. He found Reza staring up with a confused expression, but he forced a small smile down at the child. "Yes, my boy?" he asked.

"Are you okay?" Reza asked. "You've just been standing there, not making your food anymore."

"I know, I'm sorry. I'm just...thinking."

"About what?"

Nadir sighed to himself, knowing that he couldn't exactly expose what he truly had been thinking about. "Just about how much I love you," he settled on saying, crouching down in front of his son and pressing their foreheads together. "Because I love you very, very much and it consumes my mind all the time. It's rather exhausting."

Reza giggled and set his little hands on his father's cheeks. "I love you too," he said. "I'm glad you're home."

"I'm glad to be home too," Nadir said softly. "Now, why don't you and I get our snacks ready and go sit with a storybook, hm? How does that sound?"

"Good," Reza said softly, smiling at his father. "Let's go."

With a nod, Nadir kissed the little boy's forehead and straightened up to collect the plate of food that they would share, then stepped out of the kitchen hand-in-hand with his son, intent on enjoying the time he had left and the feeling of Reza's hand in his for as long as he possibly could. 

~~~~~

reza is my entire life, thank you and good night