Part 4

Stefan sat out on the grounds of the Salvatore summer home. It was a beautiful colonial, on a back dirt road in southern Florida. He remembered the long rides there and how he and Damon would bicker and fight as children. As they got older they both found ways of entertaining themselves. Damon with his girl companions and Stefan with his books. There were those few times Damon would join him in his reading. Damon had a secret love of astrology so Stefan always kept a book or two around on the subject. Stefan watched the night sky and felt the air shift. He turned behind him and saw Damon looking around.

“This is what you dream about?” the older Salvatore tsked. “Where are the girls, the booze, not even a little Peter Cottontail? You’re really lost without me?”

“You not usually this snarky,” Stefan said.

“That’s because I don’t usually invade your dreams,” he said. Stefan got up and stood before him.

“Yeah well whatever.”

Damon look over his little brother and winced at the pain he saw. He knew Stefan was hurting, but he never imagined this much. “Bonnie sent me here to help you. I’m really here,” Damon said embracing his brother.

A calm washed over Stefan while he and Damon embraced. He knew I was him and a million question swim in his mind. They pulled back and looked each other in the eye. “Where are you?”

“I don’t really know, Shelia calls it the Afterlife.”

“Shelia Bennett?”                                  

“Yes, she made away for Bonnie to find peace, and somehow Bonnie brought me with her.”

“So there hast to be away to get you guys out,” Stefan reasoned.

Damon looked at Stefan and wished he could preserve the hope in his eyes. “There isn’t.” Stefan took a step back. “I’m gone Stefan. There’s nothing we can do about that.”

“No!” Stefan yelled. Damon looked at him with wide eyed. “You’re here right now, that means there’s away. There is always away,” Stefan yelled.

“Look even if I wanted to there is no way I can,” Damon said. “I’m going to show you something. I think.” He looked around. “This is a dream so let’s Inception this bitch.” Damon thought about where he wanted to go and soon they were on a beach.

“You want to show me your paradise,” Stefan said as he looked around the tropical terrain.

“No this isn’t what I meant. Bonnie didn’t give me direction so I’m winging it,” Damon tried again and soon they were in the boarding house.  “Okay so there she is.”

Stefan looked on as Estelle played with a little girl. “Is that mother?” he asked not believing his eyes.

“Yeah and that’s Sarah.”

“Is she like our long lost sister?”