Part 28

~~~

Damon watched on as Stefan made his way through the forest alone. He knew Abby had to wait until Elena was distracted to put the barrier up. If by some misfortune Elena couldn’t die, she’d be trapped here left to desiccate.

When Stefan reached the point, they agreed upon, Elena appeared. “What is it that you’re so eager to talk about?” Elena asked.

“Damon told me what you two did to me and Bonnie. I just wanted to know why? You seemed happy with Matt. So why me?”

Elena laughed and stepped closer to Stefan. On cue Abby, Qetsiyah, Sheila, and Lucy moved in chanting low. They were putting up the barrier. Then they’d slow her healing ability. And Damon would be able to go in for the kill.

Damon looked at his brother and he knew their plan was foolproof. There was no way Elena would get the best of them. She couldn’t get the best of them. His children’s future rested on his ability to make Abby’s plan work.

“Stefan, you know the answer to that question. I wanted you. I still want you and only you. Unlike a green-eyed witch we all know.”

Stefan took her hand and looked deep into her eyes. “You had Matt. Why did you want me? You could have inserted any name into that picture why did you choose mine?”

~Afterlife Mystic Falls 7 years ago~

It was an eerie night to have a bond fire. To make matters worse Matt was so absorbed in the night, and “enjoying” the moment, that he barely noticed the effort Elena put into getting ready, and looking nice for him.

As if that wasn’t bad enough, her phone wasn’t working, no matter how close to the main road she got. She tripped on an up root and almost fell and hit her head on a huge rock. But a pair of strong arms saved her. She hung in the air a moment looking down at the jagged rock. Soon the strong arms pulled her up and held her close, as her heart raced in her chest.

She looked up to see Stefan’s panicked and looking down at her. He helped her regain her footing and assisted in placing her hair gently back as it was. “You feeling, okay? Can I give you a ride?”

Tears started to pull in her eyes as she spoke. “Matt and I got into a fight. I’m fine I promise.” She was lying and it was clear to see.

“How about you join me for a late night pick-me-up? ” Stefan’s smile was always captivating, but the way he was looking at Elena made her cheeks heat.

“That sounds good. I’d like to see what your pick-me-up, is.” Stefan was usually with Bonnie, but partying wasn’t usually Bonnie’s thing… correction partying in the woods wasn’t Bonnie’s thing. Though there were many times Caroline was able to drag her here. She had been spending more time with Sheila Bennett lately. Elena was often jealous of Bonnie and Caroline. They were always the main focus of their parents’ affections.

To impress her parents Elena tried to be the exemplary student. She was a cheerleader, creative writing club president, in year book, and class treasurer. The youngest class treasurer in Mystic Falls High history. Yet, at home Jeremy was always the topic of discussion.

That’s why Elena’s world was center in school and with her friends. It seemed like even there no one saw her or understood her.

“To be honest I saw you walk off and wanted to make sure you got home safe. I know everyone is pretty fried, but you don’t usually separate yourself from the crowd. I always admired how you thrive in the spotlight. Yet you are down to earth and easy going.”