Part 14

Abby was like a summers breeze-warm, gentle, and unpredictable. She spent months traveling the world trying to find what she was missing. When she first left Mystic Falls it was to protect Elena and Bonnie from the originals, but that wasn't the whole truth. Apart of her had always long for something more, when faced with the opportunity to go and never look back, she took it. In that time she realized she had everything she could ever hope for. A loving mother, a beautiful daughter, and a strong man by her side. She tried time and time again to go back, and beg their forgiveness. Now, there was no way to do that, they were all dead. Everyone that ever meant something to her were gone.

She lost her mother, husband, and daughter. She compelled Jamie out of her life and now she was truly alone. The months following Bonnie's first death had been unbearable. Of course they weren't close and Bonnie always kept her guard up, but they connected. Bonnie was just like her when she was young. Her daughter was so head strong, but she led with her heart, she was the peace keeper and set order with her friends. Bonnie was wise beyond her years and so kind.

Abby only wanted to protect her daughter from the dangers of the supernatural world. She thought staying away and letting Bonnie live in a world without magic would keep her safe. She and Rudy agreed that Bonnie would never know about her powers, and she was naïve to believe Shelia Bennett would let her only granddaughter's magic go to waste. O' the parallels of being a Bennett. Endless power, and a need to save the world with it. That was why her daughter lost her life. The balance of the worlds were always more important than the needs of the self.

Abby entered the acute care unit her childhood friend was in. Liz was the only other who knew where Abby went. She often shared stories about Bonnie when she wrote. Abby never told Bonnie, but she wasn't truly gone for long. She often corresponded with Miranda Gilbert as well as Rudy and Liz. They all reassured her Bonnie was happy and given the best.

"Look what the cat dragged in," Liz greeted once Abby entered the room.

"Frizzy Izzy," Abby laugh.

"That's better than Flabby Abby," Liz said and the pair smiled at each other before embracing.

"It's nice to see you again Mrs. Wilson," Elena said.

"You to Elena," Abby smiled.

"Could you give us a minute, maybe pick up my lunch?" Sheriff Forbes asked.

"Sure," Elena said and went on her way.

The pair waited for Elena to get out of ear shot. "I didn't think I could hold on much longer," Liz confessed.

Abby grabbed her friend's hand. "I'm so sorry that this happened to you Liz. I'm going to make sure we get to be with our babies again," she smiled.

"She missed Bonnie so much and she wanted to bring her back. I should have told her I was sick sooner. I should have noticed something, done something more for Bonnie. I'm sorry Abbs," Liz said as tears fell from her eyes.

"Izzy, Bonnie would do anything for the people she loves. And I'm proud of her, to have the courage to do what she did to save her friends. And this isn't the end," she said with tears in her eyes. She gave Liz a vial. "I promise."

"Thank you for not trying to talk me out of this."

"I know how you feel. And if I'm right, Caroline can't comeback from where they are," she confessed.

"Because vampires aren't natural beings and can't reenter the world," she laughed. "Sometimes I think about what Miranda would say to me."

"She'd say that she loves you more than anything, and thank you for taking care of our babies by yourself."