A New Beginning

Word count: 1,945

Thousands of families are leaving Ireland due to rising rents and prices, bad landlords, poor harvests, and a lack of jobs. The Great Famine in the 1840s - a result of the potato disease that killed the crop most Irish depended on to survive - caused a million to leave Ireland, with many going to Britain and The United States.

 The Great Famine in the 1840s - a result of the potato disease that killed the crop most Irish depended on to survive - caused a million to leave Ireland, with many going to Britain and The United States

The year is 1874. A beautiful young brunette Irish woman in ragged clothes is onboard a ship of Irish immigrants sailing to Great Britain. With her is her 4-year-old daughter sound asleep in her arms. She is also dressed in ragged clothing, but much warmer in blankets. Her daughter also has the most beautiful fuchsia hair and the cutest freckles. The woman is Rosemary Mills and she is moving to England with high hopes to provide a better life for Y/N, her one, and only child, and the only family she has. She has found good work as a live-in caregiver for a very wealthy man and his young son. That man's name is George Joestar and his son Jonathan.

The pair sailed on the Atlantic for about eight hours along with the others who left Ireland.

During that time, Rosemary thought about the life she was leaving behind in her home country- mostly bad memories- but she also thought about the good changes they'd soon face. Y/N fell asleep with her head resting on her mother's lap.

I'm forever in Master Joestar's debt. Y/N and I will, at last, have a warm place to sleep. No longer will we worry if we'll have a decent meal. Y/N will never be hungry again, she'll have a warm bath every night, and so many safe places to play. She'll get to grow up like normal. She might even have a chance to attend school.

The young mother looked down at her sleeping daughter and smiled when suddenly she heard a commotion coming from up on the deck.

"WE'VE ARRIVED! WE'RE HERE! WE'RE HERE!

She could hear people shouting with excitement along with the ship's pipe whistle. She carried a sleeping Y/N up to the deck to see things for herself. They really had arrived at the port of London. She starred off at all the different buildings.

So this is London, England. This is what a city looks like. A bit smoggy, but wow! What a sight. I've got to wake Y/N up now!

She began shaking Y/N.

"We've arrived Y/N! Wake up, Love! We're here! Said Ro.

Y/N slowly opened her eyes. She looked up at her mom with a bit of confusion.

"Turn around, look!" Rosemary pointed straight ahead.

Y/N turned around to look.

"It's the city of London, Love. We made it!"

The little girl completely zoned out staring off at the view of London.

The two grabbed their luggage once they had officially arrived at the port. After they walk-off the boarding ramp, a man wearing a top hat & a long black coat approached the girls.