A Special Surprise

[A/N: Xiao and Lumine in Inazuman festival kimonos!? YES PLEASE!!! <3 But seriously this is the calm before the storm...pun intended. But please, enjoy some Japanese Festival music ambiance for this chapter. Also please say happy birthday to our girl, Lumine this chapter~! Lumine here shares my birthday which actually DID take place during the summer festival and midsummer event(June 16 2021). Also with the holiday season nearing I think this is fitting.]

...................................................

Summer's warmth hanged thick on the breeze as the rich smells of cooking festival food hanged on the wind as cherry blossoms danced like falling rain. Everywhere laughter of children and the excited chatter of Inazuma's citizens filled the air. All of them dressed in festive kimonos and many wearing the festival masks that mostly appeared to form a kitsune's face. Some wore them on their faces while many opted to have the masks just rest on their heads to the side. Lanterns bright in hue shined bright in the evening light as they swayed with the breeze.

Left and right vendors shouting and giving out rewards for their games and fortunes. Some taking and giving orders for sweet or even savory treats to the festival goers. Stray cats and dogs even got in the fun hoping to steal or be given something for their eager stomachs. Everywhere joy and smiles filled the hustle and bustle. A sight a small group had been greeted by. The group consisted of two young girls, a female celestial fairy, and two boys respectively. Everyone had been startled at the sight of the pale blue haired woman robed in a blue kimono with soft floral and wave-like patterns and a dark blue sash but their excitement grew into cheers as they greeted her. In her hair was a simple dark blue bow hairpin. This was Lady Kamisato Ayaka, the first daughter of the Kamisato Clan of the Yashiro Commission that had organized this entire festival.

Beside Ayaka was an eager and smiling blonde Monstandt born man with jade green eyes that shined so playfully. He had a bright red yukata with black and gold flame like patterns to it. "Come on, Ayaka-sama lets not dally here and go enjoy ourselves."insisted the blonde grabbing Ayaka's hand to pull her along with a smile.

"Eek! T-Thoma no need to pull!"squeaked Ayaka.

"Hey wait up for Paimon!"squeaked the fairy robed in a pink and white kimono with little rabbits, stars, and moon on it. She stopped though to give a quick wink to the boy with the teal underton black hair. Then leaving a trail of stardust behind her she hurried after Ayaka and Thoma to join in on some fun and games. The dark haired adeptus sported a yukata that was not far from the same color scheme as his usual clothes. The only difference was the vermillion breezy pattern that formed a rising bird with long feathers. "How ironic."he thought with a tsk. He hated that he was amongst so many carefree people but...today he would make an exception. He had to for his little plan to surprise her to work and it seemed to be. The entire way here the blonde girl beside him was smiling looking beautiful in her pink and red floral patterned kimono that had small star-like patterns. A simple flower pin broach fastened to her dark sash.

"Come on Xiao!"she giggled.

"No need to pull my hand Lumine!"he protested as he was pulled along. 

However Lumine noticed he had not once protested about the noise or the rabble even ignoring the odd comment about others mistaking him for a yokai due to his more subtle features. Actually he seemed to be trying everything he could to keep her distracted and thoughts away from the one missing on this day.  Actually both Yoimiya, Thoma, and even Ayaka had been dragging her everywhere the last couple days. "What are they scheming?"she thought holding her new kitsune mask close. The mask itself was rather cute being white with some red and cream markings. 

"You've been acting weird, what's going on?"she finally asked.

"No idea what you are talking about."he dismissed but Lumine was not convinced by the small suspicious gleam in her honey amber eyes. Xiao though to her surprised grabbed her hand and lead her away from the crowds and past the lone tori gate at the top of the hill. To her shock waiting there was Ayaka, Thoma, and Paimon around a violet colored picnic blanket. All over was various foods ranging from not just Monstandt cuisine but Liyue and even festival food from Inazuma. But at the heart was a lone cake decorated to look like a starry sky with two purple roses and a single tiny pink one all made from frosting.  She was speechless at the sight.