escape (2)

•••

9:25 pm

Toni was done with work for the day. She stayed by the same tree she was at last night, accompanied by a traditional lamp in the dark. That tree kind of gave her a comfort space that became a reason for her to go there every after session of work.

She was staring at the flower she had in her right hand; she ought to give it to Cheryl if it weren't for the space they have in the middle.

She then laid down on the ground to watch the clouds move with the wind. She admired the diversity of the stars and how the moonlight shone brightly, contrasting with her small lamp on the side. It was beautiful.

"Toni..."

She knew it was her, so she sat up and looked behind.

"Hey," she greeted shyly while walking to her. "What are you doing here? It's, I guess, late now. I'm not sure. Uh, I only got a small lamp with me."

"Can we take a seat?" Cheryl suggested, so they settled on the dry ground.

"Uhm... I'm sorry," Cheryl said quietly and Toni nodded understandingly.

"... I shouldn't have avoided you. It was stupid."

"It's okay. I understand," Toni replied calmly. "Uhm, let's just clear things out. I'm still working for you and your father and we can be civil. I won't pest you, I promise."

She chuckled slightly to cover the awkwardness up.

"Okay," Cheryl sadly mumbled while nodding. "It's all good. Sorry for the kiss, too."

"Hmm. It's fine. It's not a big deal." Toni flashed a warm smile. "Let's go. Let me walk you home."

"Let's stay," Cheryl insisted before leaning her head on Toni's shoulder.

She got the right distance from her to make herself comfortable. It was a nice feeling.

"How I wish I could help you with your problems, Cheryl." Toni opened her left arm for Cheryl's shoulders. "I just want you to feel better."

"This makes me feel better," Cheryl replied, "thank you."

Toni hummed. She wanted to take Cheryl out of that place, but she couldn't. She also wanted to have her always, as her girlfriend, but she knew she was gonna leave soon. It'll be useless. This was the right choice for them. Stay civil.

The following days were gloomy for Cheryl. The closeness they established slightly faded after that night. She was sometimes wishing that that night never happened. They would've stayed close to each other until now. Despite avoiding glances, they chose to be okay with the situation.

•••

It was a cool afternoon. Toni was trying to notch an arrow, pointed at the tree a few meters away from her spot. She was using a well-designed bow set, given by Jason.

"Ugh. I suck at this," Toni mumbled.

"You should let your arms be steady, but relaxed," Cheryl advised, walking from behind.

"Hey," Toni awkwardly greeted.

Cheryl cutely waved a hand.

"I'm kinda jealous. You're fire at this." Toni chuckled. "Care to train me, miss?"

Cheryl scoffed with a grin. She walked closer to Toni and stopped behind, to the left.

"Carry on?" she said politely.