Little Red Riding Hood

"Come, we need to have a talk."

Cedric led me to the borders of the wolf clan area. He pushed me so I stood just outside. With his arms crossed and his brows furrowed, he looked less furious and more worried. Worried for what I might have done to Red.

"You snuck into the wolf clan, going against the rules," Cedric huffed.

"Indeed I have, Cedric. What a clever observation you have made. I expect nothing less from Red's second in command."

"Don't get feisty with me, Aloysius. If you wanted to stay in the wolf clan, you would have accepted Lady Red's proposal."

I looked away, unwilling to meet Cedric's eyes. I was ashamed that I had to turn down Red's proposal. Had the circumstances been different, I might have- I might have accepted it. I dreamed of it when she was gone. What if I had taken her into my pack, would we have grown closer? Would we have been more?

She was very young, five years younger than I. Would she have felt too awkward to be with me, or could we have not cared about the age gap? I would never know now, especially not after what I'd done.

"Is it because it was her who proposed? I admit, it is a first to hear the lady ask the question."

"I do not care of who poses the question, Cedric."

"Then why didn't you accept it? It cannot be lack of feelings," he looked me up and down. "Both Zeke and I could see clear as day how important Lady Red was to you when you trained her with us."

I coughed into my fist. Was I like that then? Was that when it started? I wasn't too sure myself. I only knew I regretted chasing her away, and missing her throughout the three years.

"Even Lady Red said she preferred to hold your hand. I see no reason why you declined," Cedric shook his head, then paused, raising an eyebrow. "Is it- is it because you are afraid you'd hurt her again?"

"You are not meeting my eyes, Aloysius. Is that truly the reason?" he poked my ribs and I glared at him. "You are starving yourself?"

"Of course not. I would be dead by now if I did," I rolled my eyes.

"But you refuse to eat meat. How ironic. A predator who refuses to eat anything but meat."

"Every time I see meat, or hunt for food, I- all I see is blood, and Red. I cannot stomach eating any more flesh."

"Her arm is lost because you ate it. Is it a big deal? Yes. Does Lady Red hate that? Yes, she does. But she did not lose her arm and have you eat it for you to decide to starve yourself," he pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Lady Red just wants you back in the wolf clan. Frankly, so do most of the wolves. We want our leader back. Lady Red is a great leader, she's kind and hardworking, but she's new and it'll take time for her to adjust to living in the wolf clan, much less the Blackbird forest. She needs someone to guide her."

"You are her second in command. You guide her."

"Aloysius, she needs you. Mentally and emotionally. Maybe she proposed not out of romantic love, but it not emotionless," he contemplated for a bit, before saying, "After her encounter with you today, she was crying. She needs your help. She needs you."

I shook my head. She didn't need me. She just feels guilty that she took the role of Alpha. Truthfully, I didn't mind, but I knew she wasn't ready. She just needed Cedric's help, and she could become a great leader.