S I X (rey)

The night air was frigid. With adrenaline pumping through me, I was left unscathed from the cold. My exposed legs and arms didn't erupt in goosebumps, and as I scurried down the porch stairs of the Alpha Sigma Phi frat house, I knew that if I had to run after the guy I'd been chasing, I could easily do so all night.

He and the wobbling woman had just crossed the street and were ambling down the sidewalk. Though a few people were present outside, none seemed to be any the wiser—or they didn't care enough to interfere. Both explanations bothered me. More adrenaline coursed through my veins.

I crossed the street and kept my distance behind them. He couldn't be taking her far. Greek row wasn't just a single street and included multiple blocks of houses, which had been dubbed College Hill. However, my gut (and past experiences) were telling me that the man wouldn't be traveling to the other end of College Hill; the woman could barely walk.

As soon as I'd had the thought, the man glanced over his shoulder as he turned onto a side street, still holding onto the swaying woman. People were present but were sparse this far away from the large party. I followed after but continued to keep my distance, thankful I'd developed a light touch when it came to walking in heels.

The noise from the party was like a distant memory as the sound filtered through the street. Lights from other fraternities and sororities lit the sidewalk, but the night felt dark, like I was walking deeper into an abyss. The woman tripped and the man gripped her tightly, pausing to scan his surroundings once more. Deciding he was in the clear, he began trying to haul the woman up some porch stairs leading to a brick building I assumed was his fraternity.

He looked like a kid stealing a cookie from a cooling rack. It made me sick to my stomach.

I quickened my pace.

He'd managed to finagle her up two stairs when I approached.

"Hey," I said. "What a lovely night for a stroll. Man, do you know how to romance a woman."

The man gawked. Literally gawked—mouth open, chin on the ground, eyes wide—and I knew he'd sound exactly like a Prius if I was any closer. It was my favorite response.

"What are—what?" He flapped his mouth while clinging to the incoherent woman. "What do you want?"

I took a step. "You know, if they can't walk up a simple set of stairs, it might be a good indication that maybe they won't be able to—what do you call it?—get freaky with you."

He gawked again.

"Unless—don't tell me—you like it that way?" I stopped at the base of the stairs. "Oh, but didn't anyone tell you? Consent's sexy now. Did you miss that lecture in Human Sexuality that all you pervs take so you can look at diagrams of vaginas but still can't quite seem to figure out and hope"—I crossed my fingers—"to sneak a peek at the boobs of an ancient wooden figurine?"

Gawked some more, he did, and I found myself growing bored.

I waggled my hand at him. "You can hand her over now."

The guy's face twisted but he still held onto the woman, who was moaning and barely standing. I stuck my hand inside my pocket and found what I was looking for—just in case.

"Who are you to—what do you want?"

"Come on, man," I sighed. "Don't make me blow my rape whistle. Because, you know that's what you're doing, right? Rape." He froze but didn't react, so I repeated louder, "Rape."

He ground his teeth together and leaned towards me. "Just—just get out of here."

"No can do," I said. "Not without her."