14

Shoota

4 days later

it's been a few days since i last heard from ahjee, i usually wouldn't be worried but right now i am. the whole hood knew about jaymo & ahjee. they were inseparable. no one knew they broke up until ahjee moved back to detroit.

i called her and she didn't pick up. "i think we should swing by her crib. i told lovely as she swept the kitchen.

she looked at me and nodded. "daddy. alegend said walking in the room. i turned to him. "watch this. he kicked his leg up and spun around like a fuckin ninja.

jus nod and smile. "aye that was some crazy shit right there where you learn dat?

instead of answering me he jus walked away. lil big head bitch. i turned around wit a mug on my face and lovely started laughin.

---

lovely

"go get her some of her favorite snacks i'll talk to her. i said getting out the car. i grabbed alegend out the back and headed inside.

i knocked on the door and benz opened it. he looked helpless until he saw alegend next to me.

"aye, my boy wassup g. he told him scoopin him up. "ahjees in her room. katorahs out of town so i'm helping her keep the house together. she's not doing so good but you know i'm not a woman i don't know how tuh- ya know. he said whispering the last part.

i nodded and walked in. i've never been in ahjee's house before it was nice and matched her vibe. i walked down the hallway and pushed open a cracked door. she was laying in her bed looking at pictures from a box.

i walked in and sat on the edge. i sat there for a second in silence before she finally spoke.

"i don't get it. she said.

"huh"

"i'm not crying. i can't believe it. my body won't allow me to.

"it's like that sometimes bby. we don't want to believe somethings true so our bodies jus-

"no. lovely i'm not talkin about that. he's not dead. if he were dead i would be broken. but i'm not i don't feel anything. i feel numb.

"you see death everyday ahjee that's probably why. she looked at me with sorrow in her eyes. "reality will catch up. i said looking down at the picture in her hand.

 i said looking down at the picture in her hand

"when was this? i asked.

"junior year.

"you guys look cute together. & happy.

she smiled at me. "that boy has my heart. and i had his. he was one of those niggas you jus can't leave alone. he was so good to me, whether we were on bad terms or not. he never hesitated to help me or protect me... she said trailing off.